My fiance has just been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis,how much will this effect our lives

Posted , 6 users are following.

My fiance is only 29,he's been suffering with these symptoms for about a year. He's had an MRI and found his elbow has fused so he cannot straighten it also both of his knees has swollen. He has been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, i have researched and found many things about it,but unfortunately I don't know what the best route for him to take. In the year we had been waiting to find out what was wrong with him he's tried paracetamol pain releif, anti inflammatory, we've even changed his diet. Any one had any experience looking after somebody with this or knows about what treatment he could try that's not going to make him worse. thank you in advance any information would be extremely help full. X

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am meeting a rheum this month to find out if I have this or not. The last few months while I wait I have done a lot of research and I joined a few groups on FB where I can talk to other people who have it. There is a group I just joined called the low starch diet for AS.

I would ask him to take good supplements. Pro-biotics, omega 369 with vitamin D and magnesium oil.

Apple cider vinegar, aloe Vera or turmeric are also good for inflammation but if he's taking meds some of those might not be safe to mix with it.

I'm also doing acupuncture which really helps with fatigue.

Don't lose hope. There are people with AS leading normal lives and the risk of disability is low if it's managed properly. ?

• Posted

Hi ,

You must take him to a good rheumatologist and start treatment as paracetamol will not help. I used biologics remicade and this got my mobility back. It seems you need urgent consultation and pls don’t delay . Try curcumin with bioperine tablets to bring down inflamation. All the best ) 

• Posted

HE needs to be on biologics (Enbrel, Humira, etc) and exercise, excercise,

exercise, lol swimming is the best.  Use it or fuse it!  

• Posted

Hello to you both...I would just like to talk about what to expect. Well, the first thing my daughter would say is....cranky times because of pain...forgetfulness sometimes...pain which requires a hot pack for relief plus a good pain med like Tramadol. Maybe sleep problems as the pain is worse at night and early mornings....but if you can get him up and thinking through the pain...walking may ease it..moving around albeit stooped and slow...but must do it. Hot showers...for over all relief. Gentle muscle massage..only muscles not bones. Let us know how you go with this approach and I wish you both the best....Hugs..Gloria
    • Posted

Hi gloria, my partner has been taking tramadol, but it just seams to make him worse, he's seeing a rheumatologist in 3 weaks, he's been walking and trying to keep active but he's had an MRI and the results say his back, elbow, knees and hips are all inflamed, he went to the Dr about H aveing constant pins and needles in his hands and feet they've given him pre gabalin unfortunately nothing seems to be working for him sad we've tried everything we can do now we've got to wait for a rheamatolagist to see if he can improve his condition

• Posted

I've been on tramadol for over ten years. I recommend not taking it. It was initially very effective but now I only take it to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Only thing that helps are biological meds, and I think I have become tolerant to mine.

• Posted

So far my partner has stopped taking tramadol for 3 weeks now, hes due to see a rheamatolagist tomorrow so hopefully he can start him on an effective treatment plan
  • Posted

Get a good Rheumatologist. Find a balance between rest and mobility. It is very important to keep moving. The thing about AS is that it can really effect other parts of the body. So make sure to be clear about all symptoms even if it doesnt seem relavent because it might be. He is gonna need medicine to not only deal with current symptoms (inflammation and pain) but also to help slow down the process of AS. Until you guys find him the medication that works best for him it will probably be a little rough because some of them have unpleasent side effects. I was diagnosed with AS and juvinile idopathic arthritis in Feb 2017. I am 25. My Rheumatologist says I have had both of these since I was child.
  • Posted

My partners been getting pins and needles, he went for a nerve conduction test and found out he had inflamed nerves all over his body as well as AS, he is in serious pain, but hopefully when he sees the rheamatolagist he will sort him out and hopefully help with his pain, does anyone else have inflamed nerves with AS? Thanks everyone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.