My first bout of lichen planus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am in my 60s and never had a skin condition before.  This summer I was up north and went to doctor for what I thought was poison ivy on my foot and hand and given a steroid cream.  After I got home it did not go away and appeared on other parts of my body.  I was diagnosed at a dermatologist and given a stronger cream.  I do have spots in my mouth but not a problem yet.  I did have an ongoing tooth problem and will be having it out the first of the year and it has caused an abcess.  Not sure where to start or what to do to get this under control as it seems to be spreading to my chest and legs.  Any help would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Steroid Cream both topical and internal (systemic). You have to use generous amounts of the topical stuff. Rest, B 12 and Vit D. Child's toothpaste. (Doesnt sting or irritate). Mild, Antiseptic mouthwash. Are you in UK or US, Canada, etc ????
  • Posted

Steroid Cream both topical and internal (systemic). You have to use generous amounts of the topical stuff. Rest, B 12 and Vit D. Child's toothpaste. (Doesnt sting or irritate). Mild, Antiseptic mouthwash. Are you in UK or US, Canada, etc ????
    • Posted

Yes diagnosed at Mayo through a biopsy.  I started with hydrocortisone .2 percent and that did not seem to work and then given clobetasol .5 persent which seems to have dried it out on my hand and foot BUT it does appear in welts on my chest not the same as on my hand and concerned it could spread.  Also concerned that when I get a spot and scratch it it bleeds which seems bizarre so I just don't scratch.  My mouth had it when I went to the doctor but he said just brush my teeth, floss and rinse as it is not bothering me at this time I would not even know I have it in my mouth if he had not told me.  I have read alot about detoxying and doing various things.  Is this the way to go?  Someone else said you need to get on Prednisone right away which is scary to me.  Help I need advise as I feel I have it on various parts of my body now.
  • Posted

Hi Susan

I have LP and am 57, was diagnosed by my dentist in my 40s didn't realise I had it then but now have the burning mouth with spicy foods, to much sugar also is bad for it and stress you need to try and relax, have you ever had an abnormal cervical smear test in the past?

• Posted

Hi Susan, 

LP afflicts in different ways from what I get to read here by various cotributors.

I have Oral LP and the doc this time said it is specifically mucosal LP as its affecting only my mucosa.

I have had it for 3 years plus and I would be elated when the symptoms subside and can eat normal food (which does not include chillies esp chilly powder preparations). Initially I applied topical creams

In 2014 I had a course of 30 mg Prednisolone tapered, which helped a lot.

In 2015 I had 48 mg of Methy Prednisolone tapered over 6 months. This led to complications like Diabetes, Vision (Because of diabetes). 

Now my diabetes has just about left me and am drug free for the the last few days.

2015 Dec I have started with a new drug and topical application.

Steroids give relief but comes with other complications. When OLP affects you a lot you will have steroids as it becomes unberable. In the end we all are looking at a reasoable quality of life. You with  your GP will eventually find a path that suits you. I have heard a lot about Mayo clinic and am sure you are in good hands. The symptoms of LP are so classic you dont need a biopsy to onfirm it but then these days everything is "evidence based" 

Keep following the different discussions in here. You will become aware of issues before hand and you will be able to discuss options if you know them. 

It does go into remission for many...so I have read over here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.