My first septoplasty went wrong, what should i do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello everybody,

last year i had surgery to correct my deviated septum. The first two to three months my breathing was improving. I immediately noticed that i could breath better through my left nostril than through my right one. However, i didn't think much of it, because i still got sufficient air through both nostrils so that breathing through my nose wasn't uncomfortable. I mentioned this to my surgeon, but he said i should just wait, because it would likely get better. My surgeon was very satisfied with the result of the surgery, even my ENT doctor, who advised my to do this surgery, said that the surgery was done properly. He said that my right side was a little bit narrower than my left side, but didn't think this was impeding my breathing, because i still had plenty of space on my right side. At this point i have to mention that my surgeon was still very young, i would guess mid-thirties. This doesn't have to mean anything, but in retrospective i probably should have been operated on by an more "experienced" person. Fast forward to now and my breathing has worsened significantly. I almost can't breath through my right nostril and it's making me really depressed. I can still breath well through my left nostril, but i constantly have this very uncomfortable "clogged"-feeling on my right side. I went to see a couple of other ENT doctors, who gave me contradictory advises. One told me that i should have revision surgery. Because of that i went to the hospital to get checked. The assistant doctor didn't think that my septum was deviated, but the head-surgeon said i needed revision surgery. That was already very strange, but i trusted the surgeon so i got an appointment to get another surgery on December this year (this time i went to another hospital, if i get the surgery i want an experienced surgeon). I wasn't satisfied with the answers from the head surgeon so i went to see another ENT doctor who this time told me i should not get another surgery! She told me that my septum was a little deviated but that this didn't really clog my nose. She also said that i should not get terminal reduction because it basically would dry out my nose. I still have a dry nose, even though over a year has passed since the surgery. To this day i still have to use nasal ointments to moisturize my nose, if i stop using them for more than 1 to 2 days, my nose gets very dry. So my concern is if i get revision surgery i will probably have to keep using ointments for the rest of my life. Can anybody give me advice on this topic? Should i get a second surgery or is it to risky? Sorry for the long text, i am already leaving some small details out, but i just wanted to explain my situation properly.

2 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.