My fistula experience so far.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just thaught I would share my experience so far. It started back in July 2016 when I felt a lump next to my anus. I thaught it was piles and just kept putting cream on until it burst 2 months later. Went to GO who put me on antibiotics. After a week no joy, so put me on another weeks worth. It kept filling and draining with blood and puss running down my leg. I went to A&E and admitted me on 5th October to cut the top off and drain. The surgeon after said he had never seen such a large abscess. Guess I left it too long! Anyways the nurses came everyday until February when they discharged me as there was no more they could do for me as it wasn't healing. I knew this and again and again mentioned a fistula. They kept saying no as it wasn't tracking! So I went to the GP three times, each time he sent a letter requesting a follow up for me. I had been lost in the system. Anyways I had mri in May 2017 and confirmed a high complicated fistula. I am on my 3rd cutting Seton and the third was supposed to be the last so they could lay it open. I'm in for my fifth op next Wednesday 20th December. Will it be the last? Who knows. The reasoning behind the cutting Seton is for it to slowly cut through the muscle like a cheese cutter whilst it heals behind it, slowly bringing it to the surface so that they can lay it open. I read on here that it has not hurt too bad, The cutting Seton has hurt like hell most of the time. I have good days with no pain but others with massive bleeds and pain. I can only put it down to cutting through the tissue. I'm optimistic and have no other choose. I tried the diet prior to the ops etc, but the only way is surgery. I have always feared hospitals and needles, but I am so used to it now. We are on first name terms and have a laugh about it. I literally walk into the operating theatre with my pillow. They put me to sleep and then find out? My last but one op was a partial lay open and new cutting Seton. I woke up in a lot of pain with that one. In summary surgery is the only way. You get used to it. Nothing to be afraid of. I'll let you know when I'm fistula free!😊

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good luck with your next op Steven. Living with these blighters is no fun so I wish you a fistula free New Year! Thanks for the post.
  • Posted

Steven you are sooo brave ..well done for staying positive. I am soon to have op 26 Jan (maybe sooner as hoping to go with more experienced surgeon) for lay open surgery- although was praying my fistula would heal after my I&D surgery in Oct. Today it has flared up as I can’t bathe it whilst at blinking work..and am feeling sorry for myself. 😫😫..Your positive attitude is great!

How old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

• Posted

I am 47. I use wet toilet wipes at work and gauze pads on prescription for the drainage. Always managed to keep it clean. I have antibiotics on standby if needed.
  • Posted

Well I have just come out of surgery and they have managed to lay it open this time! The end of a horrible year but shows there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay strong all, I am living proof that there is an end.

• Posted

Congats Steven!

I had a Filac in October and now my fistula is lower transphicteric, most likely wil be able to lay it open in January (That wil be my 3rd op).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.