My foot is stiff how can I move it in motion?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Work accident, broke my tibia on my left leg. Also ankle fracture on my right leg. Surgery on my broken tibia, rod in the tibia bone and 4 screws, 2 top and 2 bottom. Just a cast on my right leg for 6 weeks and doctor said a boot after 6 weeks. 5 weeks since surgery, doctor said I can began standing on my left leg, put some weight to get a feel. However the problem is my foot, is stiff since it been immobilized and now when I try to move foot up and down its hard. If I try it harder to move and hurts and I can feel the screw in the bottom. Also my foot is swollen I'm afraid if I overdo it it might swollen bigger. Is weird how my left foot is swollen and not my right foot where my ankle fracture is. Oh I also have a skin graft on my left leg. Doctor said is normal for swollen foot but when I move it, it's hard, how can I regain my motion on my foot?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a walker or a crutch?  Is your R leg cast from your toes to your knee and non weight bearing?  Do I understand that your accident was 5 weeks ago and you have been in a cast for your ankle since then and your surgery on your tibia was at the same time, 5 weeks ago?  Were you given any exercises to do for your left leg and foot after surgery?  You probably need a professional therapist/doctor to tell you what to do.  I can tell you what I did when my leg came out of a cast and when my foot was swollen.......For swelling look up the RICE protocal.  R-rest, I-ice, C-compression, E-elevation.  For foot stiffness after weeks in a cast-exercises at least 10 times each.  Point toes forward and pull toes toward you by flexing the foot.  Tick tock with foot (not leg too).  Keep your leg straight forward then move just your foot from your ankle right and left.  BTW I was sitting in a recliner with my legs out in front of me but my leg was supported by the recliner.  With your leg straight forward and your foot straight up, twist your entire foot inward (sole of foot in) and twist your entire foot outward (sole of foot out). For this I had my leg crossed at the knee.  Circle foot right 10 times then left 10 times.  Use your foot to "write" the alphabet in both upper and lower case letters.  Later I was given strength exercises for my ankle using stretch bands and lifting myself up onto my toes and down.  It's all hard at first so start slowly.  It gets easier the more you work the ankle.  When I started weight bearing it was with a walker because I figured I'd fall with crutches and break something else.  However, I had one good leg and foot so it was easier for me than for you.  I could shift my weight from my good foot to my hands on the walker and bad foot.  After about a week or 2 I could put my full weight on my bad foot but continued to walk with the walker sliding in front of me to grab if needed.  GOOD luck.  It's great to be able to be back to normal.  You'll get there too.  

• Posted

I have no crutches or walker. I can't put full weight on neither leg. Next week I have appointment, if x-ray show good results on my right leg doctor will take off my cast and given a walking boot to start putting weight. On the day of the accident, I could still stand on my injured right leg and put pressure on it, I thought it was a minor injury thinking is just my left leg but no, woke up after left leg surgery I see both my legs on splint. Doctor said I have ankle fracture but said surgery wasn't needed, so he give me a cast on for 6 weeks.

On my left leg, I can move my toes normally, just that my foot when I try to bring it up its feel hard stiff. I try do it slowly to regain my foot movement. My last appointment was 2 weeks ago, doctor said I can begin to put my left leg down the floor but when I do my foot feel too stiff that I afraid it might get swollen and cause me pain.

I'm currently bedridden, use a wheelchair to get around and have a commode since my restroom is narrow, wheelchair won't fit.

• Posted

Hi Selerim

You seem to be doing well for 5 weeks after breaking your tibia on your left leg.  My left tibia and fibia were broken in a road accident 55 years ago.  I had my left hip replaced 18 months ago and it has left me with damaged nerves in my left foot. The orthopaedic surgeon said it was from the injury to my tibia that has caused this problem.  

I know now surgery today is more advanced.  I have difficulty lifting my foot because of this problem.  I hope you can get some satisfaction with your problem they tell me there is nothing they can do for mine.

All the best

Brenda

• Posted

Have you started physical therapy and rehab, yet?  These are wonderful questions to ask your doctor.  Print off you post and give it to the doctor at your next visit.  GOOD LUCK
  • Posted

Update

Cast removed and now on aircast boot for my right leg. Doctor said I can now start weight bearing tolerance on both legs. However my left foot is still stiff, doctor ordered me a physical therapy next week. Also I can able to stand on my right leg with the boot. Waiting on a walker to get to my home. This boost my morale now.

• Posted

SOUNDS LIKE PROGRESS!!!  Your left will loosen up as you see PT and you practice your PT at home too!!  Ice the areas that are still painful/discomfort.  Hang in there you are on the mend!!  Good luck and God Bless

• Posted

Hi Selerim

I fractured my left ankle last November. I had a terrible luck.... while in cast I fractured my right femoral bone and I needed surgery. I was supposed to have the cast for the ankle for 6 weeks but because of my other fractured leg they kept it for nearly 4 months so that I could put all my weight on that leg as I needed to be mobilized soon after the surgery. Walking with both legs broken was a real challenge. After 4 months cast was removed and ankle was stiff with very week muscles for nearly a month. When I resumed work which was nearly 6 months after the fracture the ankle started swelling alot and this was normal because the soft tissue started to react due to the movements. The range of motions improved with time. Right now I still walk with crutches because of the femoral bone fracture but put full weight on the broken ankle. It's been nearly 10 months since the fracture and I don't have any swelling anymore. My advice is take it easy and give yourself time to heal. There isn't a formula for fast recovery ....with time you will notice that the mobility will improve.

Take care

• Posted

Wow so it take time get range of motion back. Thanks for advice, I now manage to stand more easily and also I feel slowly getting my strength.
  • Posted

Update

I now a lot better than I was 2 months ago. Got cast removed after 6 weeks, given a walking boot for 4 weeks and now my right ankle is completely healed. I can walk using a walker and now doctor order me to use a cane. Right leg is fully mobilize doctor said it is done. Now the attention is on my left leg, still have stiffness foot but I can now walk with it just not in full motion. I going to start PT next week to work on my stiffness foot. Skin graft is still healing on my left lower leg. Doctor said is going to take time to heal because of my bad injury. 6-8 months, I will keep updating in time but I'm happy that I can stand up and walk baby step

• Posted

WOW!  What great news about your improvement.  Be sure to do everything at home that you learn in PT.  PT can make a big difference in how fast you recover.  From bedridden/wheelchair to a cane.  That's fabulous.

• Posted

Update

Been 24 weeks or 6 months since my accident and surgery. Now as of 12/15/2017, I've been walking without any equipment. I ditch the cane weeks ago, I can walk better, go stairs better, and now can jog as well which is a big progress! However all my activities gets me tired really fast, like I gain my strength but need to work on my stamina now. Still doing PT to help me regain stamina again, oh also doing squats since I can now bend my knees but a bit. 

But on my last X-Ray, leg leg tibia bone is healing but one side of it hasn't show healing. Like they way I see, 3 piece of tibia bone that were broke, 2 are healing but the other one hasn't yet. Doctor said due to my injury he expect that and should healed by the next visit I see him in next month 1/18/18. He said if that piece of bone doesn't heal we might do another surgery. This concerns me because I hate surgeries and also feels like a setback. Doctor said with more activities that piece of bone should start healing.

Nail Rod in tibia left leg, skin graft lower left leg

Cast for 6 weeks on right ankle leg- has completely healed   

• Posted

Good to hear that you are doing so well.  Don't worry about that 3rd bone that hasn't healed as well as the others.  It all takes time.  Things will work out for you when you visit your doctor in January.  Keep up the PT.

• Posted

Update

Hey guys not much has changed. Still tibia bone healing slowly but that piece of bone has started to heal. Doctor said it will heal but still say surgery if needed but he confident it will heal better. He said is up to me if I still want PT or I can go to the gym. I'm thinking of doing both so I can do more activities

I can move my left leg more and my limping is disappearing as well. Still limp but if I focus I can walk without limping. I started to play soccer kicking the ball and jog a bit. Recently I'm climbing ladders have trouble sometimes but I'm trying to do it to regain my ability's like before. 

• Posted

You are doing beautifully.  I think you are right about doing both PT and going to the gym.  However, at my age, I would stay off the ladder and not do anything risky.  How old are you?  Congratulations on your hard work and recovery!
    • Posted

I'm 31 years old, yea ok I'll lay the ladder for now, I'm do leg press and work on my muscle first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.