My Four Year Update to How I’m Doing

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I'm Nick. I used to come on here often back in 2018 when I was struggling.

My life is really good nowadays. I got sick with active mono infection in 2017. I proceeded to have a long drawn out bout with it. My main symptoms were anxiety, sensations in my throat and chest such as pulsing, vibrating, prickling, etc. I would get winded very easily, and my sleep was often disturbed.

Over the past few years, many of the things I once experienced went completely away, and the few core symptoms have become gradually better and better. If i look back at each year, I realize i am better now than i was previously. I live a very active life. I am a rock climbing instructor and routesetter. I go surfing, hiking, I work full time in a physical job. Im very fortunate to be as capable as I am. Still, I do experience that there is still something affecting my throat and chest that causes them to pulse and feel scratchy. Im not sure how to get rid of it. It doesnt really have a big effect on my life, except in quiet moments i percieve that it is still there, although way less pervasive than before. I believe someday this last lingering symptom will fade away.

I hope that anyone who has had a long experience with this type of illness can continue to have hope and patience and know that some healing can take years to occur, but the body continues to try to heal, and i hope any who are struggling continue to support their body in healing.

I am curious to hear from anyone who i used to chat with on here to learn how they are doing these days. its too bad there is so much less activity on here lately, this place was a great support to me.

Cheers everyone.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick,

Glad to hear of your recovery. I too recovered. After a bout with covid, I was diagnosed with mono, again. It seems to be better than the last time or maybe I am just better at handling it.

I check in here from time to time as it was such a good support system.

• Posted

hi, I am sick since april 2016, but I improved a lot. I am currently working full time which is a big improvement, but its just mental work so its okay. I still zone out during work a lot though. As far as physical activity goes, my threshold is much lower, usually 5000 steps a day. Hopefully, I can finally exercise the next year.

• Posted

hey everyone!

I remember all of you from our horrible time dealing with this! glad you are all better and improved - lob i know how low emotionally you felt sometimes so i am glad youre ok! Craig, hope youre OK too you were always such a sympathetic friend on here.. hope your back improved.

I am back to normal as well.anyone interested can click my name to read my story.. especially if youre dealing with long haul mono and are freaked out. you will inprove with time and serious rest - dont worry about CFS.

take care you all!

• Posted

Thanks all, very encouraging to hear your testimonies. I've been battling this since November 2020 (11 months now). Started with an enlarged lymph node, my doctor confirmed Mono the next month with bloodwork, followed by a rollercoaster of symptoms, health anxiety being the main driver.

However, symptom by symptom they have started to disappear. I walked the same path many on here have, from not being taken seriously by doctors, vitamins, chiros, ENT's, Cardiologist, MRI of the brain etc. it was only until I just accepted it that it started to subside, weird I know. The only symptom I'm left with is a strange spacey feeling, and even that has reduced in severity and frequency. My neurologist sent me for a MRA and EEG, should get those results soon, but she didn't seem concerned.

I too have found this forum very reassuring but agree, it seems very quiet.

Thanks,

Britabroad

• Posted

Oh my gosh hey everyone! I haven't been on here in a few years but i got sick in 2017 and this forum was a lifesaver! I remember your story Nick- its so good to hear you're recovered!

I was also diagnosed with Lyme Disease in 2019. I've been on antibiotics for about a year and I'm finally making some progress. I think EBV can get into your nervous system and do some damage.

While I cant exercise and have to limit my activity still, Im back at online university and its been great! I also work part time from home. I still have hope for a full recovery, but have also built a life around my limitations. Its all we can do when we have cfs.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and happy 😃

Also hi Craig! So glad to see you're still here with your kind words and reassurances for everyone!

• Posted

lisa, did you seek treatmemt for your cervical stenosis? please update.

• Posted

Nick- Your update just brought tears to my eyes. I have yet to see such a happy ending to this miserable virus! First and foremost, thank you for sharing this, it gives me the hope I've been searching and longing for!

If by any chance there was one thing you did that sticks out the most in your recovery, I'd be forever grateful to know what it was, along with the rest of us.

Again, I'm truly grateful to have stumbled upon this forum, and particularly your blog. You've given me hope when all hope was lost.

Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.