My friend had a stroke and left me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Long story short got a message over the phone from my friend that he had another stroke ( his second one). i told him id come ove to vist and basically in his own words he shot me down because he couldnt talk or walk properly anymore. i was then told he was moving to be closer to family. i sent him a letter to no reply,i keep seeing his are and him everywhere and it hurts because i love him deeply. why wouldnt he want me there?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm afraid that you have to respect his needs. When dealing with major health problems, sometimes, we have to prioritise our own needs above anothers. As you said, this stroke has affected his ability to speak, so you've answered your own question, that's probably why he hasn't been in contact. I obviously don't know about the exact nature of your relationship, but you clearly care very deeply about him, so I'm sure that you'll give him the space and time to heal that he needs. Sometimes, only our relatives are the ones we feel that we can lean on, in this way.

Focus on yourself and take care.

• Posted

your message really has helped me get throught this tough time. we were in love even though he was was way older then I am (23 and 53). thanks again 
  • Posted

Having a serious stroke is like having your world turned upside down. It is quite normal to want to retreat into your shell, until you have recuperated somewhat and have come to terms with what has happened. My wife was virtually the only person I spoke to, for six months after I got out of hospital. I refused to go out other than taking the dog for a walk or take calls from anyone.

The worst thing in the world, is someone come striding up to you with a big smile and then asking, how are you? I could have chinned some of them, how did they think I felt having spent two months in hospital, now loooking like a thin frail old man (I was 49) with a walking stick - oh yes, top of the world.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to wait for him to come to terms with what has happened.

• Posted

Give your friend time and space to recovery

I am sure as time 

goes by he will be in touch. I too had 3 TIA's last year, I am on the mend now. Friends our last thing on your mind.  

• Posted

I agree with RHGB and marlyn, I had a haemhorragic stroke in 2012, my son really was the only person that I knew who I really wanted around, for months. Anyone in a similar situation needs those who love them to be understanding and simply accept that their wishes should be complied with.
  • Posted

Hi Tashi, my heart goes out to you and your friend. I work in aged care with stroke victims and it is devastating to see,also my grandfather had a stroke and as he was a very active man he would not live with a paralysed side and a speech deficit so he refused to eat and died 4 weeks later. Your friend wants you to be happy and not stay with him because of how he is now out of sympathy and also he doesn't want you to see him how he is now, if he gets better he might contact you but it will be up to him and on his terms, you can only write to him and tell him how you feel and if it's ment to be you will be together.Just write to him every week and hang in there Tashi xx

• Posted

I imagine you must be feeling hurt and rejected. It may be helpful to remember that stroke can affect a persons emotions, behaviour and even personality. Also post stroke depression is common. You might find the Stroke Association's fact sheets on Emotional changes after stroke, Changes to your behaviour and communication problems after stroke helpful. You can download these from the website. Also you can phone the stroke helpline on 0303 3033 100 to discuss with their trained advisors. Also take heart from the fact that the brain does recover -- albeit it can be slow -- and your friend probably just needs time and to know you are there for him. All the best. 

• Posted

I've had a major stroke during surgery unexpectedly. It's really tough to see loved ones or to see your friends due to the fact you're an a crisis State of Mind I'm stroke survivors want to be left alone. However he will come around and hopefully you will still be there don't take it personal he will need your support mentally to overcome this it is quite devastating to be able to walk he will regain some movements with physical therapy. Just let him know you are always there to listen and to help any which way possible. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.