My friend has been dealing with shingles for approximately 6 weeks. Do not know what to do next.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My friend's shingles have been different from most.  They are not in large patches.  They started out in a small patch and developed into  single bumps on his back, stomach, arm and lower extremity.  Now they have started on the opposite side on his inner arm.  You can feel many bumps under the skin and then they pop out in single bumps.  Has anyone ever had this happen?  He is hurting and itching, along with weakness, joint and muscle pain, especially his neck.  He just doesn't know what to do.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It seems with shingles there is a lot of variations. I have had a severe case for two months. Mine never came in clumps. Mine were in a fine rash with little tiny blisters but covered my lower back groin stomach and thigh. Rash is still there but not active. Pain is all part of it. I still have good days and bad days and o have been two months.I think your friend should go back to see his doctor because shingles follow a nerve on one side. Could be something else going on the other side..  
  • Posted

Hi William your friend I hope has been seen by a dr or a ER within these six weeks. I ask b/c you didn't mention it.

The earlier advice was the correct one. Now I'm saying to you the quicker one who has shingles can see a dr to receive antiviral drugs the better the outcome. Shingles is trickly it does have many variations & always always has pain & itch! It's a virus but the virus sits on the nerves. It's like a tree with branches so you don't know where it will sprout out to.

So you have to see a dr right away to begin treatment and get better. I got mine within 24-hrs. And I must say, I'm a hell of a sight better than I was 4-mos ago! Although I am dealing with PHN (after shingles nerve pain). No one knows why it happens the dr's all say it just happens.  But I hate to think of how I would've felt by now had I not started my antiviral drugs right away. So please take care of your friend. Sounds like you care for him.

Keep us updated ok 

• Posted

Unfortunately, this definitely sounds like shingles. As others mentioned, the symptoms of the rash can vary--mine was so minuscule, we barely noticed it, both on my back and my chest. Sadly, taking anti-virals 6 weeks later won't help, unless somehow there's a new outbreak. He needs to see a doctor to get appropriate treatment for his various symptoms. There are prescription drugs drugs such as Neurontin/Gabapentin or Lyrica for nerve pain, Tylenol can help, some ointments may help with the itching and a pain cream with Lidocaine, such as Asprecreme can help. I wouldn't put it on the actual rash however. I'm sorry he's part of our group, it's a very difficult condition to deal with and time is really the best healer.

Elena, I feel you pain, literally. I'm almost a year out and am dealing with PHN, William, you don't want your friend to develop this. The sooner he can get comfortable and settle down the nerves, the better they will heal.

• Posted

Dear William,

As everyone advised, your friend needs to return to the physician. Hopefully, he went back when a new rash occurred on the other side. He could have disseminated shingles as it is on both sides of the body and arm and leg. The aches, pains and weakness, plus fatigue accompany shingles.

Please keep us informed.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello, What an awesome friend you are trying to find help for your friend. Having someone that gives emotional support makes a big difference so you're already helping him by validating his experience. I don't have a magical cure but I do get some relief using a menthol gel. There is one made for people but I have been using a horse liniment called Rapigel. It is such a hideous virus & doesn't always affect people only on one side. Many Dr's will say shingles only affects one side however I am living proof that is not always the case. Your post is 10 days ago so please let us know how he is going. Did he receive anti viral meds? Apparently that does make a difference to the severity. Keep up the good work & look after yourself too.

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.