My friend have took extra dose. now what should she do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

One of my friend(SIKO) took 8 to 10 tablet of thyroxine 50mcg. Kindly suggest me instantly what should i do for her. Plz any one

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello do you mean 8-10 of 50 mcg or 50 mcg in total if it's 8-10 mcg then your friend needs to contact doctor or a and e at hospital.if it's only 50 mcg may be ok but still need advice from a medic 
  • Posted

Hi lovely, can you tell mw what her normal dose is, and also was this deliberate or mistake, (easy done)!
  • Posted

Either ring up NHS Direct 0845 4647 or go accident and emergency at a nearby hospital. I think I would start with NHS direct. The extra thyroxine probably won't kick in immediately as it is slowly absorbed but I wouldn't just ignore it. Best of luck.M
  • Posted

I was on 200 mcg thyroxine for nearly two years, as my doctor didn't do a follow up and as a result I now have an irregular heartbeat. Never had any problems with my heart before,  Also, Karen Carpenter took Synthroid (Levo thyroxine equivalent) to aid weight loss, but was not diagnosed with a thyroid condition, which led to her having a cardiac arrest. I now initiate having a thyroid test once or twice a year to make sure I am on the right dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.