My friend is addicted to 30/500 co- codamol, need advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am seeking serious help I'm really worried! My friend has experienced a vital life event a few years ago and she is now addicted to 30/500 co- codamol and I believe she has been for a couple of years. She believes that taking these make her feel better emotionally, and so do I. But within this process, and has lost a lot of weight when I say a lot I am talking stones. I'm worries because she isn't eating properly and not because she doesn't like food, but I think it's related to the drug. I keep telling her to come off of them and explaining other side effects and she doesn't take me seriously and says 'I'll be okay'. Is weight loss a common side effect? I've researched and it hasn't stated so. And I also require advice on how to get her off of this drug, in the easiest but also quickest way. I am aware she will require supervision for this, as she wouldn't be able to do it alone! Please help someone? Would appreciate it thank you!!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

Sorry to hear about your friend but me my self I am an addict. I loose and gain weight all the time and it is kinda normal to loose weight as codeine suppresses hunger. I would advise your friend to speak to her doctor. As your body gets use to the drug you need more I was taking 40-50 per day now my doctor has me on 5 dhcs and I am slowly lowering the dose. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Oh thank you! And aw that's good to hear. Was it easy to cut down from tha many to 5?
    • Posted

Hi Gemma

It is very difficult but worth it but I was a severe case as I had used heroin in dyer times but the sooner you start to mend it the easier t is.

• Posted

You get to a point where you have a high tolerance and at that point if you have nothing you will take anything to stop the withdrawal that's the only reason I ever took heroin.
    • Posted

Agh that's scary! But thank you for your help!
    • Posted

Sorry I know it seems scary and it is but there is always hope and Defo tell your friend to visit the gp demand help with it and tell them to also get a medical assessment as other issues caused by over using solpadol and opiate based drugs is high blood pressure, calcium deficiency, iron deficiency, arthritic pain, gout and damage to kidneys and liver. I am lucky my liver and kidneys are fine but I have everything else honestly though the best thing I could have done was visit my gp pour my heart out and plead for help. I do hope your friend is ok and gets help with the addiction but also tell them about the NA narcotics anonymous they are a support group for addicts of all kinds and the meetings are a great help, they offer friendships, support and a shoulder to cry on now and then.

I do hope this helps.

• Posted

Aw that's great advice, thank you! And well done with handling your addictionsmile
    • Posted

Thank you. If you need to ask anything else feel free to pm me I am an open book and will reply as soon as I can. smile
    • Posted

Hi J, ive been that desperate when ive run out of codeine that ive considered using heroin, thats how low I got. The only stopping me was not knowing where to get it, otherwise Id be a heroin addict now.
    • Posted

Hi ashamed

I have don't you don't want to go down that road my friend. I smoked it a few times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.