My friend's mom is suffering from Alzheimer's. Does GPS tracking help the situation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been frustrated in dealing with my friend since she keeps worrying about her mother getting lost and suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. Obviously, I'm concerned for my friend and her loving family but when this gets in my way of work and other personal business, I think this is getting too far. I was wondering if using GPS Tracking can help my friend keep track of her mom, and finally focus on my own stuff.

Anything I should know before telling my friend about this? Should I actually tell her to buy this device for her mom? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Damn dude.. that's harsh, I'd go buy a GPS if I were you, better be safe than sorry I think, I don't know how to feel about this since I've never experienced having a family member having Alzheimer's, but after reading it seems to be awful than I thought it would be. If it makes you feel better getting a GPS might help.

• Posted

Do you know any GPS devices that could me and my friend in this awful situation? 
    • Posted

I don't know much about GPS that much, I think an GPS that has a phone app might be helpful.

• Posted

I talked to my friend about this, she said it's okay but I still really don't know what GPS i'm gonna get, I guess I need to research this stuff. Thanks for your response and have a nice day.

• Posted

Just an update. Her sister is coming over to their home to care for their mother, which means I still have time to think this through.
  • Posted

You too man, I hope you have a nice day and if you want me to recommend a GPS try Trackimo, it's an external GPS that has a phone app, a friend of mine I asked said she's enjoying using Trackimo. Here's a link to it . Again Good vibes to you and your friend.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

oh, that looks bad...

Can you send me the link as PM? Thank you very much for your reply.

• Posted

Ohhh I'll send the link to the GPS, I forgot no links allowed forgive, me admins.  

• Posted

Looked at several GPS trackers online and found a few trackers that I find interesting. 

I still haven't received the PM btw.... 

• Posted

Trackimo looks nice, it has an SOS button which is really useful in my case. But the price though... i'm not sure of it.

• Posted

It looks like I have to save a few bucks regarding this gps tracker, didn't realize how expensive these are...

• Posted

I would think that it would give your friend some kind of peace of mind knowing exactly where here mom is. Seniors with Alzheimer's are known to walk off and not come back. I HATE seeing on the news that a senior went missing... wondered off and didn't come back. I live in Florida so it's way to common. I would say to enable GPS on her moms cell phone but... they can easily forget that. I would look into a GPS tracking device that can be a necklace or watch. Before my father passed away I bought him a smart phone, in hopes he would remember to bring it with him, so I could find him if needed.

• Posted

Hi clarkson,

I think the GPS tracking will not works every time, Instead of doing this why you guys don't provide caregiver for his Mom.

• Posted

Today's technology with GPS tracking is pretty advanced, rarely does it fail if you purchase the right product. Ideally, a caregiver and GPS tracking tool is a great combo if financially feasible. The issue though is that a caregiver is not there 24/7, a GPS tracker is. If they wonder off late at night they can still be found.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.