My Gastritis cure

Posted , 3 users are following.

I want to share my story in case it may help someone else.

History:

I suffered from chronic upper right quadrant pain for almost 3 years. Alcohol was thought to be the original cause of the pain. I drank primarily on weekend evenings 4 to 8 beers a night. When flared up the pain would last about 1 - 2 weeks. Things got to the point where I tried quitting drinking for a year and on my birthday 3 beers flared my symptoms for almost 2 weeks.

Testing and Dx:

It took the VA the better part of two years to finally run all the tests but ultimately I ended up having an MRI with contrast, ultrasound, blood work to check pancreatic enzymes liver function and for H pylori, colonoscopy, and finally an upper endoscopy. The tests left me with a mild gastritis Dx. It took 2.5 years to finally get the upper endoscopy and a solid Dx. This was after I was already caffeine and alcohol free for quite some time and had already taken the PPI for a number of months. I can only imagine how bad things must have been back when it was really flared up.

The VA doctor’s advice:

In short, I was told I had extensive testing and everything was okay. The doctor went on to say my gastritis is not acid related and I can go back to eating a normal diet. He prescribed me a pain medicine, amitriptyline, and diagnosed me with chronic pain.

My plan:

First off I did not take the amitriptyline.

I reset my entire diet in hopes to figure out what was aggravating my symptoms. I researched everything I was eating down to the spices or lack of spices. I ate the same thing every day without cheating. I finally figured out my symptoms would get worse during the week and better on the weekend. At first I thought it was stress, than it occurred to me I was chewing a lot more sugar free gum during the week. I’ve been chewing the same brand, 5 gum, for a number of years now. In 2011 I started a new career which requires a lot more human interaction and I wanted to ensure my breath didn’t smell.

Prior to doing this I had tried a PPI Rx, omeprazole, for a number of months, cutting from my diet caffeine, carbonated beverages spices, and alcohol for over a year. I even started sleeping on my left side. All of these things yielded an improvement in symptoms but the pain would still return. I was also taking every gut friendly supplement and vitamin I could find. I even tried drinking regiments of cabbage and aloe vera juices.

My cure:

Once I removed the sugar free gum, continued my vitamins/supplements, and low acidic diet it took roughly 2 weeks for things to heal up. This past Friday and Sat I was able to eat whatever I wanted, drink a 6 pack of beer each night and a pot of coffee the next morning with 0 discomfort!

My diet regiment:

Breakfast- Special K Fruit and Yogurt cereal mixed with Quaker Simply granola oats and honey with almond milk

Lunch- a large blended drink of Kale, carrots, blueberries, and a thumb sized piece of ginger (tastes like s**t but makes the stomach feel good), some Kefir

Dinner- string beans, boneless skinless chicken, rice, with turmeric and coconut oil

Snacks- yogurt, bananas, granola, kefir

Water intake was about 50/50 tap water and bottled alkaline water 9+

Vitamins/supplements:

multi vitamin, DGL Licorice extract, Methyl B-12, Beta Carotene, PepZinGI Zinc Carnosine, Marshmallow, Slippery Elm bark, Mastic Gum

Sugar alcohols are in lots of other products besides sugar free gums so take a look at everything you're consuming.

Disclaimer:

I am in no way qualified to give medical advice. Do your own research and ask your doctor before changing your diet and/or taking supplements. This is simply my story the best I can remember it and what worked for me.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Steve, I went through the same thing as you and had the exact same results from my doctor. They called it "functional dyspepsia" and sent me home with Nortriptyline, which is almost the same as Amitriptyline. I also had mild gastritis on my scope but they couldn't find anything else wrong. My symptoms were burning pain pretty much 24/7 and I was on omeprazole for almost 10 years. Now I'm on dexilant and it's helped. I'm so glad you were able to figure out what your triggers were and are feeling much better. I still need to figure out mine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.