My GF experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys. My name is Mel. I just want to share my experience of glandular fever with you all and see if anyone has had a similar experience. My first episode of GF was back when I were about 19 years old. I am now 28. I remember being bed ridden for almost two months! It was horrible. But last year in October I came down with what I thought was just a flu. I got a blood test taken and turned out it was glandular fever again. It only lasted about one week and then I were fine again. Since that happened I haven’t been the most active person, I’ve been working a lot and not looking after my body the way I should have been, by not eating great and not exercising enough. I regret that now. I was at work one day about five weeks ago  when I got a dizzy spell and fell over. From then on I just kept getting a really horrible disoriented feeling. Dizzy and just feeling disconnected to my body ( very hard to explain, but I felt like I was a bit high all the time or drunk or something) I had more bloods taken and they came back positive once again for glandular fever. That was only 3weeks ago. My symptoms were a lot worse in the beguining as I didn’t know what was wrong with me (my first blood test was positive for GF but the doctor I was seeing at the time told me it was negative for GF so I got my results sent to a hospital and she read them to me with a big POSITIVE beside GF grrr) anyway I gave myself really bad anxiety (I’ve never had anxiety before but it was horrible) after I found out if was GF my symptoms seemed to disappear pretty quickly, I just kept feeling very foggy in the brain. Some days were good and others it seemed to happen more and more. Then I had a day off from work last week and I went for a small walk and started to feel like I was going to spew and faint. The next day I woke literally feeling like I were dying. I was crying a lot and just did not feel well at all. I had the worst headaches I’ve ever had. Then I have spent six days lying in my bed not being able to go anywhere, I’ve been in tears everyday and just feel like I can’t handle it anymore. My whole body feels like it’s shutting down and it’s painful and so frustrating. I want my life back. I’m stuck in a bed and can’t move. I woke this morning feeling ok. I got up and cleaned the house, managed to have a shower by myself for the first time this week(my boyfriend has been helping because I’m so out of it) But I just can’t seem to shake this dizziness and foggy brain feeling. I just feel like I’m forgetting where I am or who I am. It’s such an odd feeling and it’s horrible! I want to be healthy. I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar experience with the brain fog, disoriented feeling? And has anyone experienced there symptoms off and on like I am? I just pray to god that I’m coming to the end of this horrible infection! Thank you in advance. And sorry if this is a little messy. I blame the bloody brain fog 😄

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melanie,

So sorry to read about this awful time you have been going through lately, just want you to know that I empathise having been through this horrible virus about 12 years ago when I was 25-26. You have been so unlucky to keep getting these bouts, no wonder you are so weary and fed up. 

I do want to reassure you that it can and will go away completely, I know it must not feel that way the now what you have bee going through. It is quite possible and probable that you are still recovery from the same bout you took in October last year. It was in October I took unwell (the autumn seems to be a very common time to get unwell with this), and it wasn't really until the next August-September that I started to see a real turning point after an awful 10 months or so. At around the 9-10 month mark I remember vividly having quite a relapse which set me back for quite a few weeks, but after that was when full recovery started - I look back at it now as if it was the start of my body really kicking this thing into touch for good - I really hope that is the case for you Melanie and that full recovery can start after this tough setback you have been through. 

Yes that kind of disconnected and stunted feeling was something I experienced too, it was awful and it was just as though you knew something wasn't right and you weren't well but you couldn't quite pinpoint how or in what way. I really empathise Melanie as I know it is such a scary and frightening experience. After a period of being well I also had my bloods showing active again for GF, which scared me so much thinking is that me having to go through all that again, but it wasn't and it was just a relapse that settled within a few weeks - this thing can never take you as bad as it did at the start and relapses often feel so intense but don't last as long - really hoping yours settles down soon. 

I do want to reassure that things do get better over time with this. I'm now 12 years or so down the line and after getting through the first year, the second year was much more liberating and one of recovery, although I did still have to just not overdo things, and after that I was able to get back to full health again thanks to God.

Definitely taking vitamins and herbs can help, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, extra Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B100 complex (great for brain fog and energy levels and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echincea), not necessarily magic cure but definitely can help boost your system to get through this tough time. And of course plenty of rest, but of course I know you already know that!]

Thinking of you Melanie and trusting that God is going to heal you - hang in there and believing fully you will get through this and back to full health again - I truly believe that.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Melanie,

your syptoms sound very similar to mine when I crashed. For a couple days i remember starting to feel my limbs getting weak and then one day I woke up and i was so off balanced/dizzy, had horrible brain fog and felt so spaced out. It was so hard to concentrate on anything and even just getting up to go to the washroom was scary because I was so weak and out of breath.

For me the worst of it probably lasted for 2-3 weeks. I am still not completely better but That horrible dizziness and brain fog have lifted. It really is a horrible feeling but it will pass, I promise. 

Take care,

Dominika 

• Posted

Hi yes, I had brain fog. I speak two languages and would sometimes speak my native tongue to my English speaking boyfriend.. it was so confusing. I would wake up confused what day of the week or time it was, or I didn’t know where I was for a few seconds. So scary. 

It went away.. but yes my brain was going funky for a while. And thinking felt impossible... so hard to explain. I couldn’t follow anything I was watching on tv. You’ll be better soon! 

• Posted

Thinking about you Dominika and Van, I know you have both had such tough times. Still not having the best time myself right now, sorry I've not got too much today, but just a message of encouragement that things will get better and you will get through this time, I still believe that, I know it's so hard to see in the midst of the trial and I'm also struggling myself a bit with that right now, but grateful God is a good and compassionate and forgiving God.

Craig

• Posted

You're not alone, I have had Re-occurring GF for 15 years, stay strong. I can relate to all of your symptoms.

• Posted

So sorry to hear what you've been going through Jo - this sounds awful and just hoping and praying the Lord manifests a breakthrough in your situation, where you can be free of this terrible virus once and for all. 

Thinking about you and hang in there - believe and trusting in God to help everyone on the site.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.