My GF has bulimia and i need help on how to be supportive

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi My girlfriend has bulimia. She messages me that her binging is really bad. But I'm not sure how to reply back. I have looked at how to support some who bulimia. But I don't know what to say. Please help. I want to be very supportive as i can be

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jason.

I think the fact that she feels able to tell you, if you tell her that you appreciate her trust and you want to help her would be the first step.

In my experience it was a terrrible secret that I hid for years, 10 to be exact and I'd rather walk over hot coals than admit it so it shows a lot about the feelings between you and her to approach you with this.

I think it would be useful to establish more facts ie how long she has been doing that, how often does she do it, is she underweight, does she use laxatives, exercise, starve between binges? I imagine it might help establish if its extreme overeating and then purges or she has a distorted view of what is an adeqaite amount to eat so she purges in fear of "getting fat"

But at the right time

as long as she is not in physical danger I don't think it's necessary to ask her to disclose the gory details immediately.

One step at a time. But I believe it may help you find out how entrenched this is in her life style and psyche and seek the appropriate help.

You could speak to a professional and ask how you can help her physically and emotionally if she doesn't want to seek support directly herself. That may also help you understand her predicament better if you yourself speak with someone that has dealt with an issue like this before.

Kelly xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.