My girlfriend has depression and addicted to codeine. I'm struggling.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years.

The first 6 months I was aware she was taking prescribed anti-depressants.

6 months later she took herself off the meds telling me she wants to feel happy without assistance from medication.

It went well for a while.

18 months later she is taking 8 or so nurofen plus tablets (containing codeine) a day.

I've read a lot of what a boyfriend can do when his loved one suffers depression; but suggesting to leave off the codeine tests our relationship.

The idea of talking to a professional will not work.

I want to help. I love her.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps you could find some info online regarding long term use of paracetamol and codeine (affects on liver) and show her, because you care.

Good luck x

• Posted

Mark I really feel for you.

First of all it is amazing that u want to help your girlfriend and not trying to ignore the issue.

Does your girlfriend know how u feel about her situation?

I too have suffered depression and still have anxiety attacks. I take meds to help which does take the edge off without making me feel like a zombie. I'm just wondering if maybe your girlfriend didn't suit the meds she was on?

Maybe there's another she could be prescribed that would suit her better.

I know at my worst my husband booked me a doctors appointment and forced me to go. I hated him at the time but it was the best thing. Is this something u could do and get her there without realising till it's too late??

• Posted

You need to take her to see a doctor or someone who specilises in addiction, it is unfair for you to try and help her alone. Going with her to see her GP would be the best place to start. You should aslo make sure you communicate that her abusing these pills is upsetting you.
  • Posted

The Codiene she is taking is a daily dose of eight tablets. The problem is if She repeats the dose She will suffer tummy problems and an addiction the Nuropen is an NSID that reduces swelling in joints etc, so if She does not need the drug she is best off it. If it is a reoccuring depression She needs to see the GP for assesment.

Generally Codiene is is for Acute pain, not for mental Pain or depression. NSID can be used for headaches over short periods of time She needs to see Her GP.

Would She let you go with her to give support. It is difficult to suggest what to do here, Do you visit at her home and do you know her parents ? That could be one way to help to get Her referred. The other thing you could try is to find out what has caused this disability, you may be able to work around the reason and give support.

Nothing above is set in stone, for Her to see a GP is the most important thing to do. Be understanding and firm, kindness may help as well

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.