My gout fix after 17 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thought I would share my story. Suffered with gout for 17 years since I was 28. Been on 300mg allopurinal and continue to so do .

Like so many others you realise reading article after article were all different and different things set off different people. You also begin to wonder how much stuff you will have to give up to before you get gout under control and you become common with the high purine foods as listed in most sites.

However upto september 2016 no matter what I have up or cut down on I was still prone to attacks and sometimes rapid reoccurring attacks 4-5 times in a few weeks.

I was heavy drinker of averaging 70 pints a week for 15 years. I ate a fair amount of red meat , shell fish and fatty fried foods.

As mentioned I cut down and in a lot of cases cut out entirely the high purine stuff but gout would still return.

Then i read an article in September 2016 and later listened to a lecture about Fructose and it's contributions to Increasing uric acid which contribute to gout.

This was The best article I had read and to this date I have never had a twinge of gout since .

I will not go into the article as you can easily find it on the web. But compared to most articles referring to red meat and alcohol this was the first one I had read at the time reffering to fructose and high sugar being a cause of gout .

Now I will not lie I was also partial to cakes , biscuits , chocolates, fizzy drinks, MacDonald and takeaways etc and frozen costco food. I have literally stopped all of this since I ready this article .

Based on my own evidence since then I continue to have red meat, alcohol and shell fish and as stated not a twinge . The bonus also was weight loss which was not my aim but won't knock it .

To be gout free for so long now is such a relieve and maybe this won't work for everyone but if this helps one person become gout free it's worth sharing

Cheers and good luck

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you know your urate numbers in recent years?
    • Posted

Hi there .

Sorry i do not know as since I've been ok I haven't even gone back to be checked on my levels. Sorry again and I would be guessing what my levels as to be .

• Posted

I’m very happy for you.  You must feel fabulous.  You are still taking allopurinol.  Can you stop taking it?  You won’t really know if you are gout free until you go off it.  I agree about sugar.  A body destroyer in so many ways.  Congrats again 😊

• Posted

Hi there and thanks.

I'm reluctant to stop taking allopurinal as thought I was ok a few years back and it came back with a vengeance. So whilst all's going well I think I will continue to do so . Must admit it's an interesting point you make regarding gout free as I'm not sure if you ever become gout free or you just find your way to control it . Think I may try investigate further.

• Posted

Hey mate,

This gives me much hope. I found out I had gout at 28 aswell started allopurinol at 30 and recently got off it to try a diet and herbal approach to no success. I really didn’t want to be on meds life time, I worry it’s bad in the long run, but what else can we do if our bodies just keep making it. Do you take any other suppliments or just 300 allopurinol and cut sugars?

I can’t find the article. Do you know the specific link?

• Posted

Hi there

I'm still only on 300mg and continue to do so. A few years back thought I was ok and stopped taking it.However after A few months I was hit with a bad gout attack . I've been reluctant to stop taking it since then and whilst I'm pain free I think I will continue to do so . And no I do not take any other supplements. I did try celery tablets and cherry supplements as suggested elsewhere but no joy for me

Can't find the article but the article itself lead me to the lecture which is on you tube . It's called sugar the bitter truth. It's worth a view ..

Good luck

• Posted

Also how long were you on colchicine for during the initial uric acid lowering phase?
    • Posted

Hi there .

I remember my first attack lasting nearly 2 weeks and hammering the colchicine but this was 17 years ago.

Pre sept 2016 If ever I got the slightest twinge I would initially take 2 then 1 ever 4 hours until I felt the attack was not going to Increase . However over the years I would honestly say that I felt colchicine helped me if I could catch a pre attack quick. But if I ever woke with a bad attack I think it was hit and miss for me personally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.