My GP and diazepam

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there

I have a big problem with my GP.

ive been taking DIAZEPAM for about 40 years, my GP wants to cut my orescripton right down by 50%

i am totaliy aware if his reasoning - but i'm now not able to live anything like a normal life - all of my thoughts at the moment surround how to go about dealing with this.

My GP put me on MIRTAPAZINE to take at night ( 15mg) but after a week ive had to stop them - they make me feel so spaced out and out of touch with things while taking them.

HELP !

Any suggestions on how to deal with this ( or any other ) GP welcomed ...

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

Your GP is typical example of the incorrectly uneducated so called medical professionals we unfortunately have to deal with.

Depending on whether you want to continue taking this medication or not it appears you have two options.

If you have no desire to stop taking diazepam, make your GP fully aware of this and in the event he will not back down, threaten to change doctors.

A taper off such medication has to be an agreement between yourself and your GP, he has no right to action the decision made by him alone.

If you are interested in a safe taper off this medication, please check out the tapers provided by Professor Heather Ashton, and educate your idiot GP who believes you can cut your diazepam by 50%!!!

Also what dose of diazepam do you take?

And are you based in the UK?

• Posted

Fire your GP. Get a new one. Shop around. Find one who has a clue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.