My GP challenged my cardiologists treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

I attended A&E with difficulty in breathing and was quickly diagnosed as having supraventricular tachycardia with a pulse rate of 160 bpm.

?My tachycardia was brought under control on the cardiac ward under the care of an eminent cardiologist. Whilst still under the care of my cardiologist I was discharged pending cardioversion to restore sinus rhythm and told to keep an eye on my blood pressure.

?My GP had doubts about the appropriateness of my prescribed hospital drugs and said that my blood pressure readings were in the 'wrong ballpark'.

?I have come to understand that the body adjusts blood pressure variability in both the short and long term by modulating systolic, diastolic and pulse rate simultaneously to achieve a numeric balance of zero.

?The reference cardiologists blood pressure values are thus represented by the equation f(s,d,p)=0 for a mean arterial pressure of 120 mmHg.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do know that some BP & heart medications due drop heart rate.  Husband has heart failure and that is exeactly what the Dr's hoped to achieve with his medications, and after some fiddling around with various tablets it worked and worked well, they decribed it to me as resting his heart as best available.

When his heart rate fell to 30BPM, the first thing they did was take his perondopril off him, for 24 hours, as they thought there may be a connection, there wasn't as his heart beat then dropped to 23BPM, they decided it must be his electrical system, it was, 100% blockage, pacemaker installed, set at 63BPM, still gets breathless alot, but he is still trying to do toooo much, may need tweaking up a little to suit him better.

• Posted

Does your husband have a pacemaker code to identify what sort he has?

Letter 1: chamber that is paced (A = atria, V = ventricles, D = dual-chamber).Letter 2: chamber that is sensed (A = atria, V = ventricles, D = dual-chamber, 0 = none).

Letter 3: response to a sensed event (T = triggered, I = inhibited, D = dual - T and I, R = reverse).

Letter 4: rate-responsive features; an activity sensor (eg, an accelerometer in the pulse generator) in single or dual-chamber pacemakers detects bodily movement and increases the pacing rate according to a programmable algorithm (R = rate-responsive pacemaker).

Letter 5: anti-tachycardia facilities.

• Posted

It will be on the pacemaker card they gave him to carry at all times.

When I was handed mine I right away said that they had fitted the wrong one! I was supposed to have a dual chamber one but they had fitted a single chamber one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.