My GP's provisional diagnosis is Post Viral Syndrome. Could this be it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have the following symptoms?

I've been unwell for on and off now for almost a year. I remember phoning off sick a couple of times before feeling tired and 'achy'. I thought I was just being lazy and this was psychosomatic. Then I started getting really ill when I developed a sudden onset of neck/shoulder pain which is still an on going problem now although the pain has turned into discomfort/ache which I have learned to manage doing exercise and stretches. I also feel sensitivity on other parts of my body (like invisible bruises.For 6 months I was coping with my neck/shoulder problem (symptoms are crawling/tingling sensation in the arm, sensitivity to touch like its bruised and cold feeling and dull ache on my shoulder blade).

Then gradually I started developing 'flu like symptoms' without cough or cold but with tiredness/fatigue and dizzy headache all day which I ignored for weeks, until 2 weeks later I started getting pains in my legs and eventually I couldn't sit all day without getting restless legs and crawling/tingling sensation in my legs which causes weakness in my legs and worse when I'm going upstairs. I went to my doctors who prescribed me with naproxen. And told me that I had something called Reactive Arthritis, which i thought was a misdiagnosis. Overall it was still viral related.

This time I've been off work for a week when I started to feel better after a week on naproxen. I came back to work for a week feeling like i thought I recovered. Then boom 2 weeks later gradually the flu like symptom came back with extreme tiredness / fatigue and I've been in bed since. I'm still achy all the time regardless. I have no energy to do anything, even showering is a struggle. Ive been in bed most of the time, sometimes I try to go out with my husband for a few hours but I come back home absolutely exhausted and the soreness/headache i get is a different level. Most of the time I feel like my body is inflamed. I have my blood test results due on Thursday so hoping to find out more then. I'm praying that its just some deficiency and not ME.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Mrs D

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and many of the symptoms you describe: crawling, tingling, sensitivity, neck and shoulder pain are typical Fibro symptoms which I suffer from too (as well as the overwhelming fatigue and what feels like virus after virus.

. Of course I am not a doctor and can only speak for myself and what I've read- but I would suggest asking your GP about the possibility of Fibromyalgia and maybe look at the Fibro forum on this site., if nothing else but to rule it out of the equation.

GW

• Posted

Well, assuming your blood tests are negative, it sure like like ME to me. Especially the fact that when you went back to work it got worse. The most important thing to do is rest, in case it is ME. If you push yourself, as I found out, you can greatly worsen the symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi I just found out yesterday that I'm deficient in vitamin d... So hopefully that's that cause of it, never thought something simple could cause wear and tear to our bodies but I'm hoping that after a few months if treatment that I will improve. Fi gets crossed. I still feel absolutely exhausted! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.