My GP wants me to come off Zopiclone and Im afraid....

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on Zopiclone 7.5mg on and off for over 5 years and it has always worked really well for me as i have mild bipolar and severe insomnia. Zopiclone has really helped me to get my life back on track.  I am also currently taking 300mg of quetiapine, which I thought would help me sleep, but I still find I need to take Zopiclone in order to help me get off to sleep. My GP now wants me to come off zopiclone completely and I'm having massive panic attacks just thinking about doing this. Surely there is a safe way of taking zopiclone without getting addicted rather than having to come off them completely

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

well, he wants you come off, that will take time, my DR is trying to egt me off and im down to 1.87mg, half a 3.75 tablet, so dont worry, talk too him
  • Posted

Not at all, but I also agree with Daniel, .

I was on 7.5 and my DR stopped them after a week, well I was in need and got them off the internet. I was ok with , then they changed the law, I could still get them, higher price and a private prescription was costly, Im a tight man lol, now the price and the reading things I wanted to stop, I went to my GR who was helpful, she gave me alternatives and I decided to stay on Zopliclone at 3.75, if I needed them I could take 2 of them, I did just that and was fine, I also tried a few things like trying not too worry about not sleeping, in bed if I woke up i would get up, eat a biscuit, have a drink read my facebook and go back to bed as a new ned time, it worked, so i thought, maybe i could cut the dose again, I did , I cut them in half, whats the worse thing, I cant sleep , i take the other half, it worked, it still works, now I take a half, if something worries me I take a 3.5 once in a while I take 2 X 3.75 and to be honest Im not they really work, yes they get me off too sleep, the 1.87 as well as a 7.5 theres no difference, sometimes I have a bad night and I play card games on my tablet and fall asleep, I am happy too continue this for as long as I need, my GP so far agrees.

Bottom line is this, you take a pill, why not on a good night take a half, if it works great, if not take the other, what do you have too lose, nothing, you might gain, if you show you can do your GP maybe over the moon and continue too help and you need help anyway, it may work, it may not work 

• Posted

I think some of this insomnia is all in my head to be honest - infact,   I'm sure if the doc gave me a sugar pill without me knowing and I thoiught it was a zopiclone, I would probably get a good night sleep.  Thanks for all of your advice anyway - I will try and conquer this, hopefully without loosing my mind !! smile

• Posted

Your be fine , I felt awful but im now having more and longer good days after 6 week with no zops x keep it up you def do it have faith x
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

I understand your anxiety about potentially coming off the Zopiclone. I was addicted to it for 7 years, and eventually my GP would give me no more so I bought them off the internet regularly. Then the law changed and I couldn't buy them anymore...

This was honestly the best thing that ever happened in reality because I ended up asking my gp to refer me to a psychiatrist as I felt i needed help having been addicted for so long. It was found that i have moderate depression and anxiety and i now use a combination of 2 antidepressants which help me sleep

I realise that not everyone is depressed and that coming off or even reducing on Zopiclone is really hard but you CAN do it xx 

• Posted

As scared as I am, I do know that I am doing the right thing, even though i am being forced into quitting.  I've tried antidepressants and they dont work for me, which is annoying,  glad they have helped you though!! On a positive note, I was so tired the other day that I actually didn't take a zopiclone (that's a first) and I slept all night with no interuptions at all.  I sometimes think just having them there if needed realy helps!!

• Posted

Hi Emma

What are the names of the 2 antidepressants that you are on to help you sleep ? My GP wants me of my zopiclone

• Posted

kelly,the best anti depressants to help with sleeping are amitryptalene and mirtazapine.
    • Posted

Ok thanks dean I will ask my GP if he will perscibed these for me (don't hold your breath ) my persciption at the moment is propranolol 80mg and a antidepressant that I've been on for years that make me feel irritable when I take it and zopiclone
  • Posted

You cannot do an abrupt withdrawl. It's ridiculous and against all guidelines here is a list you can read just type in one at a time

Royal college of psychiatrists - search bar - benzodiazepines ( bottom of the page under managing withdrawl

Ashton manual ---/ zopiclone or benzodiazepines

Wikipedia---- GABA zopiclone or GABA benzodiazepines look at both because alcohol comes into this! I have others too it's space on here sorry!

• Posted

Thanks loads for that info.  I will present that to my Doc and hopefully they will agree to use it.

• Posted

No! They must use it. I've just got someone of a section using it. That's why I went to the CQC and others. All will become clear in time as I have now reported them to the GMC.. which all doctors must belong. Please let me know how you get on! Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you smile Will let you know how things go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.