My grandfather's knee is no better

Posted , 8 users are following.

My grandfather got his knee replaced over a year ago. He was given an array of exercises to do. While he did do them, he didnt do the amount required. His knee is still no better after a year, are there any tips on how he can make a full recover or is it too late. I'm going to try and coax him into going for a short walk every other day in the small hope that it will make it somewhat more bearable. Any other tips? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Push the exercises hard.  He can still overcome it.  Also, stretching until it hurts, back off and stretch again.  My father-in-law was in the same boat and was on his cane for the rest of his life.  Keep at it.
  • Posted

The only way is do the exercises! Push beyond comfortable each time - take pain meds and put ice on after. It hurts but it pays off slowly but surely.
  • Posted

Grandmother 76 i'm nine weeks out my surgery . Walking and riding my little stationary bike are the very best things . It's not easy at times but you have to do it ! Massaging the knee helps also ! Tends to break things up ! Hope this helps .

• Posted

Hello, no great answers here but; my TKR was back in May and I still can't bend my knee. I have only about 75 degrees of flex which makes it very difficult to do most things. I'm not a youngster, grandfather 8 times, but I've tried to my exercises and went to physical therapy for months. I had a MUA done in August without any positive results. My doctor and physical therapist have pretty much given up I just had a bone scan done last week but have not gotten the results yet. Not sure if I want them to find something or not but as I am right now it pretty much sucks. My wife and I just joined a gym and we are both starting out slow, very slow, but after about three weeks I do feel a difference. So as for your question maybe begin the exercises again and by all means walking really helps. Everyone tells me not to give up but that is hard to do!!

• Posted

Hi dane. Sorry to hear this but if one is not informed how important exercise is for rehab or knows but will not put in the effort, then the results can be as you say.

Can he pool walk? Or ride a stationary bike? Walking is great for one's heart but the knee needs to be activated and bike riding (some times backwards) is said to be great light exercise by my trainer. Good of you to get involved. Us oldies can be stubborn and lazy. Just like the rest of the population, at times.

• Posted

Exercise , Exercise , Exercise , and then Exercise . It is as important to get the leg straight as it in to get it to bend . 
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I would suggest you see another surgeon. Maybe he can get a manipulation under anesthesia where the doctor forces the knee to bend to break up scar tissue and they would stretch your leg to straighten it. I had this done when I was 10 months post op. It worked but he does have to commit to exercising regularly or he will be back where he started. I don't know if it is too late for him to have it done. I hope not but something to look into. Everyone is right. Exercise even if it hurts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.