My grapefruit, Zoladex and me

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with a large fibroid the size of a grapefruit and some smaller ones. the largest is blocking one of my tubes.

I started with Zoladex injections to prepare me for an open myomectomy. I had my first injection at my local hospital and informed any more would be done by my gp.

At the time, the consultant said the wait time was approximately 8 weeks for surgery, they were very wrong. Due to covid back log, cancers and emergencies taking priority (which I totally understand!) I'm now looking at 6 month + wait. so far, I'd rather have the pain and discomfort of the fibroids than the effects of Zoladex. I was due my second injection last week where my GP didn't feel comfortable doing it as the letters from the hospital contradicted themselves and they were concerned egg freezing wasn't mentioned to me.

I don't have children but it is something me and my partner want, I'm 33 and the comments from my GP have concerned me. I'm waiting to hear back from the consultants secretary however I was wondering what process others went through and how you found Zoladex?

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya! You sound in a very similar situation to me! I'm 33 but with only one grapefruit and on Zoladex waiting for a Laproscopic Myomectomy- hopefully in 2 weeks time...

Zoladex is awful. Like you say- I think I'd prefer the fibroid symptoms.

My brain has completely gone. I may as well have dementia. I can barely get my words out- and sometimes I forget what I'm saying mid way through. I avoid driving after nearly crashing a couple times. I can't do my job. I get upset/angry easily. I avoid being social because I get so frustrated and embarassed

I can't sleep and sit there sobbing because I just exist- I'm not me anymore.

The hot flushes, headaches and body aches pale in comparison to the cognitive side effects.

I want kids too but don't have a partner. No-one has mentioned freezing eggs.

I hope you have found some relief somehow.

• Posted

hi, its crap isn't it! I don't sleep anymore so I'm writing this reply at 3:57am! further to my post my GP never seems to have Zoladex in stock. I call a week before my appointment to check they have some, they say they do then I get there on the day and they don't. So I'm going a week between injections, on one occasion 2 weeks which caused extreme bleeding and cramps so I now ask for a prescription and search boots stock checker to see which pharmacy has it in stock, absolutely ridiculous! I'm on 4 out of the 6 I'm allowed so hopefully I'll get somewhere soon but I don't feel that optimistic.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling, at least this forum is somewhere we can all struggle together ❤️

• Posted

Hi Harriet,

I am in the early stages of my fibroid journey but i think I may be in simular situation to you soon.

I have a 10cm Intramural fibroid which has caused a bulky uterus, dilated kidney and pushed my left ovary upwards. It causes me bladder, bowel and period issues and just generally discomfort all the time.

I am due to see the Gynae team for the first time on 29th December and hopefully they will have some sort of plan.

How are you getting on now? I am 34, have 2 children but really wanted another one, but not sure if this will be possible now.

xx

• Posted

oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. That sounds very uncomfortable. my biggest one is blocking one of my fallopian tubes and pressing on my bladder.

I had an appointment on the 28th with the consultant due to some heavy bleeding I contacted them about. Unfortunately due to the state of the NHS he couldn't really give me any guarantees of surgery dates and said he can't prescribe anymore Zoladex and my final one is due on 17th Jan so it's just a waiting game. I assume if Zoladex only lasts 28 days, if I go past mid February the fibroids will just grow and grow due to the hormones rushing back into my body?

Keeping my fingers crossed for a call any day for the surgery date but I really sympathise with the NHS at the moment. We want to start a family but I'm aware my clock is ticking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.