My haemorrhoid surgery bad experience weight loss stomach uncomfortable is this normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

On the 26/05/22 attended the northan general hospital in Sheffield to have a hemorrhoidectimy to have my hemorrhoids removed.

The Surgeon who made me feel very uneasy and I was not confident in him from the first time we met as he made a comment when I asked if surgery was the only option and his reply was “I could get a gun put it to your head and pull the trigger” and laughed, so from the start I did not feel safe with him but knew I had little choice but to have the surgery because of the bleeding I was experiencing everytime I passed a stool.

I then went back to my GP and explained what had happened with the surgeon, my GP apologised for his actions and asked if I would be willing to meet with him a second time and bring someone with me.

I agreed to give the surgeon another try and my mother attended with me this time.

He apologised for what he said and I agreed to have the op even tho I still didn’t feel safe with him.

On the day of my operation I was seen by the surgeon right before I went in for the operation and he did not say hello when I came in the room all he said was “you know this is going to hurt don’t you” I replied yes you told me before and he gave me the paper to sign which I signed gave it him back and he just said see you soon, Which made me feel even more uneasy.

I don’t believe the operation the surgeon performed did not go as planned from the start.

I was sent home already bleeding badly and with stomach pain, the nurses reassured me that it’s normal without having a proper check while I was awake.

I was given a biscuit and drink and was sent home within 30mins to 1 hour of me waking up from surgery.

I got home about 17:00-18:00 that day and went straight upstairs layed down and did not move because my stomach was not feeling normal.

Later that night I went to the toilet about 22:30 for a wee I trumped and blood started pouring out my anus I could feel myself loosing consciousness and my body getting weaker by the second as I nearly bled out, I lost a lot of blood and my partner saved my life by calling the ambulance keeping me awake and holding a towel on my rear end, if I was alone I fear I would not be here today.

The ambulance turned up very quickly and played a big part in saving my life, I am very grateful to the staff that was so good with me and I really appreciate what they did and if I recover I would like to find all who was involved to to say Thankyou in person to show my gratitude for saving my life.

During the second operation I had to have a blood transfusion and another general anaesthetic for the operation.

I woke up in the hospital recovery ward before I was transferred onto the ward I spent the majority of my stay.

I experienced some amazing nurses on that shift and one in particular named Steph who was very caring very nice passionate about her job and what a true nurse should be like in my opinion.

I rested in that day and did not move from the bed, the next day the new morning staff was on and was trying to encourage me to go and pass a stool so I could go home I personally thought it was to soon as I had just undergone 2 ops in the past 48h but I put my trust in them I did what they asked.

The nurse brought in the commode and helped me out of bed and onto it, as I sat down I knew it was too soon and did not and could not push I just sat and waited for the stool to come, I then began to bleed again so I rung to buzzer for assistance and no one came so another patient across from me asked if I was ok I told him what was happening he got up out of his bed and walked down to the nurses to ask them to come and help as they was all stood talking and laughing and responded “they would be there in a second” while I was still dripping with blood.

When the nurse finally came which took them quite a while to come over to me, I was then asked do I want it whipping in which I replied “I want to know if this is normal or can you get a dr or surgeon to take a look please” i then had 4 surgeons turn up about 1 hour later to tell me I will have to have another operation as it wasn’t looking good.

At this point I was scared and now I’m back in the operating room, I had the third operation on 28/05/22 and went beck to the same ward to recover.

I stayed in the northern general for another 4 days but while I was in there I had experienced many disturbing things during the day for instance I was told to get up and have a shower I was assisted over to the shower and then left on my own, needed assistance when I was in there so I pressed the buzzer and it took around 15 minutes before I decided to poke my head out the door and witnessed a staff member say “ its number 7 there’s nothing wrong with him let him walk back on his own” I was truly shocked at this comment and felt unsafe and knew I was not going to get assistance, as struggled to walk back on my own I confronted the staff about these comments and was also shocked how not one person helped me walk as I was holding on to the walls struggling to walk back to my bed as all 10+ staff continued to just watch.

I also had a cannula in my left arm for days which had caused a blood clot and making my left hand and fingers go numb.

Since I left the hospital I also feel constantly lightheaded, my stomach feels very uncomfortable and painful at times under my ribs on left side and sometimes right, my left testical is tender, I am mentally scarred and depressed and scared I constantly have nightmares everynight and find it hard to sleep and have lost a considerable amount of body mass since this whole operation.

I was never told what I should expect after the operation other than my anus would be in pain nor was I told I would end up in this situation where I have gone in to have hemorrhoids removed and I never had any of these pain, discomforts and fears before the operation.

I was fit and healthy and went to the gym 4-5 times a week run about 2 miles 2-3 times a week and had paid to have a full body check before I went in to have this operation and was fit and Healthy on paper other than my hemorrhoids.

After all this traumatic events I then I had to go back to the hospital on 2 occasions to find out if what I was experiencing was normal and I was worried and scared and could not get seen right away and had to wait 9 hours before I was seen by the triage, I was only admitted because the lady in the triage put me straight up stairs and got me a bed.

I stayed over night and was seen the next day and was told my head lightness would go away and was not worried about the blood clot and numbness in my left arm, the light headed feeling is still there but the stomach pain has not changed which I am concerned and worried about the most and seems to be all over my belly area but mainly on my left side under my ribs, my left testical is still abit sensitive, I am still leaking out my anus like I have not whipped properly and continue to wear mens nappies, my mental health is not good I am constantly worried I still find it hard to sleep and is taking its testing my relationship with my partner.

My diet has been very good and my weight has not moved up yet which is also concerning as I never had any of these issues before I went in for my surgery on my hemorrhoids and I was never told of these post op symptoms or complications before my operation. it is now 30/07/22 i am not in as much pain with my anus but my stomach pain has not changed my weight will not go up and i keep pooing alot like everything i put in goes straight back out of me has anyone experinced this or can help me please?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello, hope you are doing fine.

Had hemorrhoidectomy 3 weeks ago, and still not feeling better. I havent back to my regular diet, been eating mostly fruits and vegetables and taking laxatives to soften my BM. I have lost weight, 3 kilograms pounds already.

I too regretted submitting myself to this operation, as the pain and agony seems to not stop. I did not have much problem with my hemorrhoids pre-op, and now I feel I am no longer normal. I cannot do my routines anymore and have been away from work eversince.

I try to be positive each day and hoping to be soon ok. Just when I though I am already on the road to healing and recovery, I bled today in the morning after emptying my bowel, then bled again in the afternoon after checking and cleaning the operated site.

Know that there are others like you and me, who share the same experience with us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.