My hair has been falling out and breaking!! Has anyone got a good news story?? Help!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all I'm new here! I've been taking Methotrexate since April, it has been increased from 15mg weekly to 20mg weekly.

i have noticed a massive increase in hair loss, and hair breakage !

I only take one 3mg folic acid per week.

Although I have less painful joints at the moment, which is wonderful, !!! I'm scared of losing my hair!

i don't suppose that this stress will help matters, but out hair is important too.

its all a bit depressing, thanks for listening to my moan!!! I'm sure everyone needs answers ?? Let's hope we can find some!

Take care all ??

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cacou 2017,

?I haven't started methotrexate just yet but hair loss is a huge concern of mine, just to let you know others out here have the same fear you do.

Perhaps your rheumy could fill you in a bit more on the folic acid angle - perhaps discussing your hair with your doctor would get you some help. Meanwhile, I too am looking for a happy story on here regarding methotrexate. I've seen a few, so I'm hoping for the best. Hope you will keep us updated on how things are going.

All the best to you!

• Posted

Thats a pretty high dose of MTX!!!???. I'm 7 months in now on MTX at 5 months 

I noticed my hair thinning. I was on 15mg oral MTX but it was making me so ill and having bad headaches. My doctor switched me to injectable MTX 12 mg. ITs SO much better. ITs easy also you just load up the syringe, clean the area and inject. Its a direct delivery so my Doctor said I could go down to 12mg. I have Lupus, with some joint pain. MTX DOES keep it at bay. I'm hoping the reduce the hair loss with the lower dose BUT I've started taking Pre Natal vitamins at my Doctor's suggestion. Also use baby shampoo when you wash your hair and try to reduce the frequency of washing, cool water is best, and IF you dry it  use the cooler setting. Proper nutrition is a huge component of having healthy hair and skin. Dont ever stop looking for solutions! These autoimmune diseases can really be depressing try to find a little joy in each day. Read what you can about your condition and try new things. Everyone is different. Good luck. Im around. Feel free send a message. All of us understand what you're going through

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.