My head has been hurting for weeks and I don't know why

Posted , 4 users are following.

Basically I've been getting headaches all my life put they've recently got progressively worst. I went to the GP and they took me for a blood test (came back as Vitamin D deficiency which I am now on medication for), but apart from that came back as fine. The GP then told me to go to the opticians and make a headache diary. I get approximately 5 to 10 headaches a day, plus lightheadedness and dizziness sometimes and fatigue and also to top it off strange creeping, tingling and numb sensations at the back of my head. The opticians said my eye prescription should change slightly but it would not be the sole cause for that level of headaches. My headaches vary from all around my head, and the creeping/tingling/numb feeling is getting progressively more and more and at one point spread to my back.

Please help me figure out what it is because it's disrupting my work life sad

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hey dear have you had an MRI?  Those machines are very precise and should tell what's happening. xxoo
  • Posted

As far as I know Vit D deficiency does not cause headaches so that is a red herring. 

Did your GP also tell you to keep a note of all the medication you use for the headaches? If not, write it down along with the timing, site and length of each headache. Also the nature of the headache, throbbing, sharp tightness or what ever. Do you wake up with a headache or get nausea, vomiting with it? That can be a be a worrying symptom. Keep a check On your caffeine intake that can also be a cause of headaches. 

• Posted

I did tell my GP that I rarely use medication for my headaches, she said to try take paracetamol or ibuprofen, I tried taking ibuprofen when my headache got bad one time but it made no difference whatsoever. I don't really drink caffeine either, maybe once or twice every two weeks so I doubt that would be the contributing factor. I never really wake up with headaches (except today actually I had this tight feeling above me jaw and below my ear which felt like I'd been punched) and nausea I never get with my headaches.
    • Posted

Fair enough.

You say you can get 10 headaches per day. Do they just go off spontaneously? Are they sharp, like shocks , aches, throbbing or tight?

• Posted

They vary, rarely are they aching, sometimes shocks and sometimes tight and mostly pulsating pain
    • Posted

How long do they last, how do you get rid of them?
    • Posted

They vary, mostly about 1 minute to 5 minutes but others are longer or shorter. I don't get rid of them because painkillers don't really work, I just wait them out
  • Posted

Hey bobsthong.

I got it too.....so please keep this site informed of what is being suggested for you.  It might help others.

The tingling in the head might be nerve endings.  I am on 200 mg gabapentin plus 1 iburofen three times a day for it and it's helped.....it's better but not got rid of it  Also having neck physio and next is a whole spine MRI.

Are you worried about stuff at your job.....you might have been in the past and thought you could stil deal with it...but it catches up with you eventually.

I find it helps me just putting pen to paper and sharing stuff on this site. I am finding that someone responds and uses the right words to help explaining it to a medical person.

• Posted

To be honest, I'm not the type of person to get stressed easily so when people suggest it I don't really think of that to be the cause. And certainly, when I next see the doctor with my headache I will request an MRI.
  • Posted

Because they are so short and often likes hokes it does sound like a neuralgic type problem. Often the nerves get nipped at the upper neck where the nerves supply the scalp area. An MRI is unlikely to be helpful, but talk it through with your doctor. Ordinary pain killers rarely help with neuralgia and anyway the episodes don't last long enough for them to do anything. 
    • Posted

gpgp

Can you suggest what will help.  I'm having an MRI scan tomorrow and I was putting all my hopes on being able to sort out my issues. To be honest, I'm real disappointed to learn that the scan might not be helpful especially as I am paying for it...and it's not cheap.

• Posted

MRI are good at showing detail but are notorious for showing up minor abnormalities (incidentaloma or minor vascular anomalies) which a lot of people live their whole lives not knowing about. Thus they need interpretation by a clinician who also knows the clinical situation. This is the reason that in the UK most GPs will not get involved with ordering that investigation and are happy that it is the preserve of neurologists. So good luck with your test.

if your doctor thinks it is a neuralgia then nerve impulse modifiers can be tried (like Amitriptylline or Gabapentin) or a physical solution like osteopathy Might help.

• Posted

The results of the whole spine MRI show some degenerative nasties. So it was money well spent since it gives reasons why I would be having the headaches.

At least I know the way forward even if I dont like what I am being told.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.