My head shook me awake

Posted , 4 users are following.

As far as I know I'm not epileptic in any form, but recently just before I fall asleep or just after I twitch and wake myself up. Usually its a spasm or twitch in my leg or arm. This time I was woken by my head shaking what felt violently. My boyfriend who was sleeping next to me said it was only a minor shake compared to what I felt. (He is epileptic and has fits in his sleep)

I have no idea whats happening and my tablets don't/haven't caused this before. I had an MRI two months ago and they said it was clear. PLEASE HELP!!!

These are my current medication

Inhalers

Aloflute - preventer inhaler

Ventolin - reliever inhaler

Pills

Escitalpram 20mg

Loprozale - 15mg

Montalutast - 10mg

One a day hayfever tablet

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kazmina ,

what you have described sounds typical of NEAD this stands for Non Epileptic Attack Disorder . These minor / severe fits can be caused by stress , trauma , pain , illness and just being too hot .

I have seizures when my pain becomes too severe , or if I get very stressed , the other day I had a massive seizure caused by being too hot . I also have lots of mini seizures usually just before going to sleep ( this doesn't have a cause ) it just occurs . All my head scans came back normal , my neuro tests were ok and the neuro consultant even discharged me without an explanation except NEAD which I looked up myself .

I hope this helps as I understand how scary these seizures / fits can be . Please research NEAD as I think it will help to reassure you .

All the very best wishes from Janet .

• Posted

Thank you! I'll look into that and hopefully find some answers!

• Posted

"Dear Kismina,

I am asthmatic . I also use Ventolin as a rescue puffer which after use will give me the shakes. Sometimes body parts will shake as a human norm. A seizure can have it's warning such as a aura, visual, feelings etc...or they just happen suddenly. They can be triggered by flashing lights, fluesent lighting. I have seizures. A few months ago I had Shingles and started taking a Epileptic drug that takes away the pain sever pain. It also has control my seizures that no other epileptic drug that I used could. My life is so much better and endurable now.

Consult your doctor .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.