my healing from achille rupture

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, i d posted some questions to this forum when ı ruptured my achille tendon 3 months ago, and this forum was helpful for who seek some advise. So i want to share my progress and advises maybe it would be helpful to someone.

I m forty year, male , ruptured my right achille tendon fully while doing some activity, exactly 11 weeks ago.

* had operation three days later

* for one month lower leg was in hard plaster

* after that ı used walker boot and started rehab

* felt no pain when rupture occured, only felt reel pain after surgery for two days. Pain went suddenly one night on its own dont know why or how, used pain killers for 2 days only.

* pain came after when mobilization started, nearly 6 weeks later after op, but not at tendon side but for each week i had different pain areas, especially around ankle, toe finger, outside of foot. Area of pain was changing each 3or five day. interesting dont know why. pains style were like shooters..my medic prescribed a gel, it was helpful

* swelling and bruising was often, decreased after 8 weeks , still have some swelling but few only around ankle.

* once a time ı heard a slightly popping sound and tought reruptured some area of my leg for 3 days, my medic didnt take it into considieration, he was rightsmile no need to listen self voice too much, doesnt help.

* i think healing progress can be felt over periods of one week, you wont feel healing day by day, but week by week. so dont be in a rush, or dont think why you re not getting any good acc to yesterday. have a positive attıtude towards weeks

* be careful using crutches, take care of them, change crutch plastic foot if it became slippery, two or three times it slipped on hard surface and was near to make me fall.

* as far as ı know c vitamin helps to heal ligaments 

* do not push limits while doing rehab exercises,  be stable and do them at least three times day, when you feel pain longer then seconds stop doing exercises, pushing the limits wont heal faster, time and patience will..

* now ı can walk steady, didnt start doing any sport yet,  many of my. complaints went away and it had been 11 weeks.. will start to heel lifts and more dynamic activities.

i hope a good healing process for all you guys..

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your update, very useful advice especially about not rushing amd measuring progress week by week.

I'm 69 and 6 full weeks and in a boot with two wedges. I'm looking forward to the 12 week target but its hard not to

overdo things.

Tony

• Posted

Hi Paul, Your advice is spot on. Patience is the key, and don't try to overdue. I too, felt a "pop" one day, about 6 months after initial injury. Scared the bejesus out of me. But it apparently was nothing, maybe just a wrinkle in my tendon or a ligament straightening out. I was 63 at time of my injury (March 2017). My progress was pretty standard, time wise - taking about a year to be 95%. Now, I am about 98% and happy about that. I only feel held back when I am standing on my toes to reach something, or when climbing up/down a ladder. I still stretch every day, which helps keep the stiffness at bay. Good luck with continued healthy healing!

• Posted

I am glad all is going well for you Paul.  May I ask a random question?  I am due to take the third wedge out of my air cast boot after a complete achilles rupture.  All is going well except I can't tell which bit in the boot is the third wedge. Did your boot have a soft base?  Not the felt liner.  Neither sections left look like the first two wedges and I feel an idiot asking the physio. Cheers  Sara

• Posted

Hi Sarah, Dont know if I can help, but with my boot there were 4 white heel raisers about 1/2 inch thick and I removed the bottom one everytime.

good luck a todos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.