My Health Screening report flagged up high Uric Acid levels; any recommended dietary changes to reduce this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently undertook a Health Screening and my Uric Acid levels where flagged as 0.510 mmol/L. I understand the standard range is 0.155 - 0.428 is this something to be worried about? I'm thinking along the lines of gout...etc? I also want to know what dietary changes can be made to help get these levels down.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think raised Uric Acid is caused by drinking too much port and red wine. If you haven't taken your Health Screening report to your doctor yet, it might be worth checking whether you can do anything other than cutting down on alcohol levels. If you're already drinking little, there may be more to it than that though?

• Posted

I have heard that cherries have lots of anthocyanins which have anti-inflamatory properties, which can help against gout attacks. Various research studies have found that they can lower uric acid serum making them a great food to help combat gout.

I have read that you should eat up to 10 and 40 per day to help prevent attacks.

If cherries aren't in season then try cherry juice instead.

• Posted

I don't currently drink much alcohol, so I don't think that will be causing raised levels. The Bluecrest Health Screening report has GP summary at the back so I am going to take it to him. I have an appointment booked next week. Thanks for the advice on eating cherries, but unfortunately I hate cherries! Any other food sources that contain high levels of anti-inflammatory properties?
  • Posted

You should perhaps adopt a low purine diet. Foods low in purine are fruits, rice, vinegar, cereals, and olives. These foods can be consumed daily. As far as I am aware there are no foods that actually lower Uric Acid levels on their own, you should avoid foods in your diet that raise levels such as Meat, poultry and fish. Other foods include: Fat, High fructose drinks, alcohol.

I am not a doctor so would recommend you go through all of the above with them when you visit next week.

I was thinking of taking a health screening and have heard of Bluecrest, was the screening process pretty painless?

• Posted

Hi Emis,

Great article, not only was it informative, but it was very well written with a fantastic humorous tone. My favourite paragraph being:

"I didn't know whether to pass out with relief or embarrassment. Gout! I mean, gout, the affliction of port-swilling old fogies. Gout, the scourge of yesteryear. Gout, noted by Hippocrates before Christ was born. Gout, first named so by de Vielehardouin in the 13th century. Gout, the affliction of Sam Johnson, Benjamin Franklin, Pitts both Elder and Younger, Orson Welles and Luciano Pavarotti. What could be sadder than sharing an ailment with Luciano Pavarotti? No one has owned up to having gout for years. Anyway, I haven't touched a drop of port for, oooh, an age."

@johndigweed; The Bluecrest Health Screening was very good, painless and the report is very detailed. Get going and have one who knows you might be in the early stages of the "affliction of port-swilling old foggies"!!!

Thanks again for everyone's support, I have really broadened my understanding of Gout and how to prevent it through dietary changes, as well as had quite a chuckle in the process thanks to a very informative yet humorous article.

• Posted

Hi George,

I too have had, higher than normal uric acid levels thus creating bouts of gout in the big toe and toe joint area. The good news though is ,over the years i have pinpointed it to differant foods /diet etc.

1. I had a flare up aug/sept time of year (2 years running) ....due to eating too many home grown tomatoes from the greenhouse.

Answer.....Dont eat so many all at once ,gave lots away to neighbours.

2. The other thing that caused flare ups for me was eating a tin of mackeral on toast every other day (I love em). Since treating myself to just 1 or 2 tins a week,the gout is under control.

Good luck

• Posted

That article on the foods to eat and those to avoid was really interesting. My earlier comment about red wine and port is obviously an outdated stereotype of the causes of gout and there's so much more to it than that. It's amazing how important what we eat and drink is to our health - thanks for this info & good luck!
  • Posted

I dont like cherries either but have started taking cherry active capsules to get all the anthocyanins and anti inflammatory benefits without the taste!
    • Posted

I take cherry active concentrate - three pumps a day with water.  I also take blood orange juice which is very high in anthocyanis (only blood orange is) which also (and I heard this from a scientist in a conference - not t'internet) helps reduce fat absorbtion from food.  Bonus!

However I am utterly baffled by the list of can/can not eat foods as I think a lot of this is fishing in the dark guesswork (inculding my own)!  Still I've ditched Marmite but the Blood orange is fruit and should be avoided??? Also the closest I get to seafood is a packet of Skips!

PS. Iv'e never ever had a glass of Port...;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.