My Heart has Palpitations and I have the Urge to Cough

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my name is Benedict.

I'm a 12 year old male.

I've had these heart skips, double-beats, and flutter in my chest since my SVT procedure.

Well, I had these heart skips and stuff before the procedure, but still, it wasn't as bad as it is now. I sometimes have chest pains, right in my heart or on my right side of the chest. The chest pain is mild though, sometimes it has real sharp pains for a quick second or two. Sometimes it's just pressure, but it just goes away. This happened for at least a few months after the procedure. I've had two SVT episodes in the past, the first one happened at school P.E, but I didn't really care until I realized it was beating fast still at home. It was over 200 beats per minute, like really fast. The second one I noticed right away and went to the ER. That was nearly 300 :O

Anyways, these flutters in my chest gotten worse, and now I have the urge to cough every time. I've had multiple EKG or ECG tests and a one month heart monitor. My doctor and cardiologists said it was fine, but that was a while ago. Before I had the urge to cough. They also caught a few heart skips and double-beats in the recordings, but they said it was normal for kids to have these type of heart rhythms... but I'm pretty sure a normal child wouldn't have these symptoms everyday. I told this to my mom and dad, they said "It will be fine."

Please, I'm scared, would this mean a sudden cardiac arrest or heart attack? If not, then why is this happening?

PS: I don't drink to many caffeine, or anything that makes my heart flutter. My diet is fine, I'm all healthy, but this flutter and urge to cough with some chest pains really is hard to go through everyday. (These symptoms usually all happen at night, some at day.)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Benedict! Im Sarah and I can relate to your problem 100%. I had my ablation surgery a year ago and I do as well get sharp chest pains and heart pains all the time, even though I had the procedure done. They hurt pretty bad, but then they go away. I am not sure either if that is something I should be concerned about. I do not think you will have a heart attack. I think maybe it is just minor symptoms from the surgery as my guess. I do not get any SVT episodes anymore, but I do get chest pains and cough too. I don't know if this helped you or not, but I feel better knowing that someone else out there is having the same problem as me. 

• Posted

Thank you smile

Good luck to you too, and thanks for comforting me :D I feel more confident after all these messages!

• Posted

Hi Benedict!  I've had 3 SVT episodes - highest my heart rate got was 180, so you are a very strong young man to be able to go through 300!  

I have my heart monitor on now - and still keep it on for 9 more days.  No SVT procedure done for me yet.

I also worry about the same things - keep communicating with your parents, and if you are not feeling good, always let them know.  It sounds like you have a good communication channel with your doctors and your parents - keep it up smile  

I have a daughter who is a little older than you - she doesn't have these heart problems like you and I do, but she suffers from migraine headaches which are pretty debilitating.  I always want her to let me know how she's feeling, and that I'm there to support her.  She has a neurologist that she goes to (isn't too helpful as there is no cure for migraines).  She also gets concerned about her condition, so I understand how you can be scared.  It is brave of you to admit that, and it's important to let your parents know too! My daughter has cried to me about her migraines.

I hope you are feeling better and that your heart heals from the procedure - I've heard from others it takes 3 months to heal and continues even after that.

• Posted

I have had missed beats for 43 years that I know of, hundred mild attacks of svt and 3 big ones, I am 71 and very active, no ablation I don,t want my heart messed with.  You will not have a heart attack, you do not die with this, my son is 49 and also has it.
    • Posted

Ah, I see smile

Thank you for comforting me, I feel a lot more confident now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.