My heart is crazy!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone. So I've been dealing with arrhythmias for almost 3 years now. I noticed it for the first time in Feb 2015. My heart would skip several times in these runs. It would last for maybe 30 sec or so. I eventually wore a monitor for 30 days. They determined what I was experiencing was some SVT and PACs. I've been on Metoprolol now for just over a year. Today, though, I had the scariest run of them I've ever had. I have had a nasty cold lately and have been coughing a lot. My heart has been extra sensitive since getting sick. Anyway, I bent down to grab something from the pantry and coughed at the same time. My heart went absolutely ballistic. It suddenly stated beating at like 170+ bpm and skipped wildly. Scared me to death. The skips were super irregular. Worse than usual. It wouldn't calm down until I'd lied down for a minute. Anyone dealing with this? I'm still shaken. Wondering if maybe it's time to wear a monitor again for a while. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jansell , I am so sorry you had that scary experience. When you get sick the meds you take for the illness can give you skips and fast heart rate you know. It sounds like with the irregurlarity and the high heart rate, it could have been afib. who knows!  I would call you Dr, and see what he wants to do. Please try not to worry as this just makes them worse. ( as you probably know) Its the adrenaline that kicks in. I hope you get some answers. My dr told me to take extra Motoprolol if my afib gets bad. I just got diagnosed with that! ( yippee) This stuff makes me very tired. Take care and let us hear how you are doing. Hugs, Mabel 27
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. I haven't taken anything for the cold at all for that specific reason. I do everything I can to minimize the risk of having these episodes. I'm still not sure what they are but I've certainly suspected afib for a while. Of course because it didn't happen while I wore the monitor my cardiologist tells me I'm too young for that. I know several people around my age and even a couple of years younger who have it though, so I know better. I just hate the feeling that I'm so fragile. Like my heart is unstable and so I'm incapable of living a normal life anymore. I'm only 33... It's so depressing and anxiety inducing to think I may have to live with this for 30, 40, or, if I'm blessed with longevity like my grandparents, 50 or more years. It's even more distressing to think it could potentially kill me before then. I'm not happy with my new reality... I've struggled with it since this started. You'd think after years it would become normal to me and I could get on with things despite having it... I'm still not there yet. 

• Posted

I,m 70 and lived with these crazy heartbeats since I was 28, now diagnosed with svt and on bisoprolol 1.25 mg sometimes taken twice a day.  Yes it is frightening but I,ve not died yet,  some days I accept it other days it gets me down, I,m an active person.  I think it's a case of accepting what it is, we are wired up wrong, it took me many years to realise I was one of many and my son has inherited it.

• Posted

I completely understand Jansell, I have had a 'skippy, sometimes fast heartbeat since my teens.Had so many tests, until December all they said was Tachycardia as benign PVC;s and PAC .caused by anxiety... etc. Last year after I woke up in middle of night with bad Tach and skips, went to hospital. They said I was fine. Next day cardiogist called and said I was getting a LINQ monitor implanted in chest. It is a permanant monitor. Well, six months later, they discovered I had heart pauses with low heart rate in the thirtys. ( not good)So, I got a pacemaker in December for Sick Sinus Syndrome. I never felt bad , didn't know I had the 3 and 2 second pauses.So, now my heart rate can not go below 60. But, it does not stop the skips!!!! ( I was hoping) I have the 2rd best ranked EP in Florida. He says I have to just live my life and ignore the skips, I dont do that well.. I feel almost every one. I am now sixty five. Got the Linq in when I was sixty four. It is just a little tiny battery thing. Great, it records everything. If you want answers, I would ask for one. It is put in under a local anesthesia. You can go back to work in a couple of days. AND you will get an answer!!!!!! You are not fragile, your heart is just wired weird!!!! There is a great group on here called the Pacemaker Club, they are a worlds worth of info. Some got there pacemakers in their teens... have had 3 or 4 . Those people save my sanity at times. They also have so much combined knowledge and have seen it all. Cardiac arrest ( still alive) skipping, SVT , etc)Go and talk to them. They are wonderful people. Hope this helps. I plan to keep going and my "little pacer" is going to help. Yes,, I hate the skips, but as my Dr. says, everyone gets them, they are not dangerous in a normal structured heart, you can not walk around thinking your heart is gonna stop. That is so rare, like getting hit by a truck, but can happen to all of us. He said, here is the thing I liked, If it did stop, you would not have warning, you would not feel skipping etc, you would just go down. So... if we feel skipping etc... that is a good thing! The heart is trying to get itself in rhythm. Sorry this is so long! Hope it helps some. I had a big one last night, I said, well my heart just hiccuped!!!Hugs, Mabel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.