My heart is playing tricks

Posted , 2 users are following.

For a while now my heart feels like it beats as normal then struggles to get to the next beat, it is as if it needs a quick start to get to the next beat. It can last from secs or it can be off and on up to 30 minutes. It doesn't happen every day either. I don not have any pain when this happens. The only thing that i have noticed is that it seems to happen when i am sitting doing nothing. My GP organised an ECG which i got last week, that was ok, and i have to go in a couple of weeks to get the 24 hour monitor. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? I am a relatively healthy 49 year old woman who loves my job and my life so i can not even blame stress or panic attacks.

aabb

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a BP monitor or a pulse oximeter ( quite cheap )that would show your heart beats. Or can you check your pulse when it is happening ? If you miss beats when resting during the day it probably happens when asleep as well.

A 24 hour monitor is not very long. I had a three day one and my wife had a seven day one. Mine showed that my heart rate in the high 40's during the day went down to 37 at times during the night and that I was having 3.7 second pauses between beats at times.

• Posted

I do not have any of these things. I have checked it when it happens but do not know if it is normal, that is why I went to the doctors. Can i ask if your heart rate is normal or do you have a problem with it?

AABB

• Posted

Read above.

I was then told that I needed a pacemaker fitted as a matter of some urgency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.