My heart races all the time

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been suffering with heart palpitations for over a year now, to the point where now it is interfering with my day to say life as they worry me so much. i suffer with chronic anxiety and panic, however these palpitations happen when i am not feeling overly anxious. it has gotten to the point now where i am obsessed with constantly checking my pulse. i have had multiple ecg's, heart monitors and echograms,and my cardiologist has discharged me as he says there is notbjng significantly wrong with my heart,other than it beats fast. how do i get through this? i am petrified EVERYDAY that i am going to have a cardiac arrest. what do i do

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask for a d-dimer blood test, it tests for blood clots which can cause palpitations.

• Posted

i rarely get heartburn and no pain after i eat. i get palpitations after a big meal

• Posted

Have you been tested for food allergies and intolerances? Both sugar and caffeine trigger me to get palpitations. Also do you drink plenty of water through the day? Dehydration can cause palpitations.

• Posted

What is your heart rate ?

• Posted

testung heart rate is usually 70bpm but sometimes can be between 90-140 when not doing an awful lot

• Posted

How fast does it beat? And is does it beat fast all the time, or only sometimes? Do you have other symptoms?

• Posted

Also, is there a difference between your heart rate when sitting and standing. If so, how much?

• Posted

it will usually beeat between 70-90 bpm resting, but when im doimg the soghtest thing (walming very slowly or standing up) it can jump to 150!

• Posted

it beats between 70-90 when resting, but when doing the slightest thing (walking very slowly or standing up) it can shoot to 140bpm.

• Posted

yes there is alot! can sometimes be 60pm more when standing! bit the doctor has told me i do not have PoTS

• Posted

Sounds like POTS to me. If there is a more than 30 or 40 bpm difference between your pulse when sitting and standing (not immediately but after a few minutes), you likely have POTS. Also, most docs don't know crap about POTS. Finally, POTS can come and go. It took years for me to get a diagnosis. Multiple docs missed it. I felt like crud all the time. I had several try to tell me I was just having panic attacks. Eventually I went to the doc during a bad episode. He diagnosed POTS almost immediately. Keep in mind, though, that even for normal people, heart rate does go up a bit when you stand and it goes up with activity. The question is really how much it goes up. I am around 80 when sitting, but 130 when I stand. Walking up the stairs puts me at 170-180. That's when I'm not on beta blockers.

• Posted

thank you for this, this is very helpful. is it dangerous? i find it very scary when my heart races and panic i will drop down dead

• Posted

i am curious as my heart rate is usually quite slow to normal but i get the occasional spike to even as high as 180 then immediately goes back to whatever it was . Not the same thing as katie is talking about and I wouldnt know if not for my watch .

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

There is a thing called paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. It comes on suddenly and then disappears suddenly. There are other kinds of arrhythmias that can also do this. Hard to know. Also, I wouldn't put too, too much trust in an watch. Could be right, or wrong. Of course, if you can also feel it yourself--take your pulse when this happens--and it really is 180, then I get checked out. Some sort of holter or event monitor would help figure it out.

Snow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.