My heartrate increases when I try to sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

About a month ago I started having a problem when attempting to fall asleep.

My heartrate seems to go up when I get into my bed and I lie down. I'm very aware of the beating and although it isn't painful, I can't seem to make it slow down. I try to breathe slowly and take in lots of air, but it takes hours for me to fall asleep and I often wake up suddenly with an urge to breathe, like I haven't gotten enough oxygen. There are also times when I wake up and my mouth is incredibly dry and I tend to drool on my pillow.

I'm 28 and quite an anxious person, but I have no known health problems. I'm wondering if this might be some sort of anxiety attack? Or am I having nightmares? I'm not sure, but the fact that it started happening recently for the first time is what worries me.

Does anyone know what this might be?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maya

I can only advise that you seek the help of your GP in the first instance. Do you have a heart related problem like WPW syndrome ?

Sorry can't you much help on this !

Hope you find answers soon. wink x

• Posted

I suffered with the exact same thing and I am also a very anxious person. I went to doctors as I thought I had something wrong with my heart. the doctor done tests and everything was fine and he said about a vien or something which runs near your heart, and if you get anxious when you are trying to sleep you feep this intensly. He told me it was all in my mind. After learning this I tried something which has helped me evernight to sleep. When im trying to get to sleep I think "I've won 800 billion pounds, what do I do first" then before I know its morning. This might not work work for each person, trying to relax you're mind and think about other things can be hard, however if you try to get into it and zone in on the story you may be able have a better quality of sleep.
    • Posted

Staying mindful always help. I learnt this in my CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) if you have not had this get your GP to refer you. It's all about the way your mind thinks. Give it a go if you want to.

Good Luck wink x

• Posted

Hi Maya, I'm having this exact same thing. It started suddenly around 9 weeks ago. Just can't sleep! Hear my pulse whichever way I lay down, it's horrible. The doctor has put me on trazodone but it's very hit and miss as to whether I sleep well or not.

How are you now has it improved at all? X

• Posted

Hi Maya,

I have same symptoms and it started about 4 weeks ago. I am a vey anxious pension as well, worry a lot with negative thinking. How did you overcome this. Please help as I have done many medical tests but nothing stands out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.