My Hemorrhoidectomy BM Nightmare

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy done on December 16th and the surgery went smoothly. That whole day consisted of me eating (cheese sandwich, soup, eggs, oatmeal, another sandwich). I spent the night in the hospital and anytime I felt pain I asked for more drugs to help me. I was told that the dressing inside of me had to come out the next day before I left the hospital and that it is going to hurt when they pull it out. I was TERRIFIED!

17th December

I woke up around 4 AM so the nurse could check my vitals. A few seconds later I was in extreme pain. I felt like I needed to have a BM. I kept calling the nurse and begging them to take it out. She made me do a sitz bath and after she pulled the dressing out I WAS DYING. Pain 10/10!!! I was discharged after HALLELUJAH! My dad drove me home.

When I got home I don't remember what I did. All I remember was taking my liquid paraffin as prescribed by my doctor and around 6pm I needed to have a BM. So I locked the bathroom doors, sat on the toilet and DIED. My BM was super hard and painful. 10/10 for sure. I called my mom and told her I needed to faint. But because I locked the doors she could not get to me. After what felt like an eternity she found the keys and I was so close to passing out. All I remember was my mom and sister trying their best to keep me awake. I was in so much pain. They gave me Tramacet (prescribed by doctor) while I was on the toilet and after I went to bed. I remember NOTHING.

18th

I have no recollection of this day. PAIN!

19th

I had 2 BMs and after screaming and bawling I fainted...both times. Pain level 10/10. Guys...my mom, sister, aunt, cousin and brother did everything they could to help me while I was on the toilet passed out. It was so hard to breathe and I was in a lot of pain. My mom had to shower me because I was way too weak. After the first BM my mom called the doctor and he said to give me 15 mls of Lactulose daily.

20th

GUESS WHO FAINTED AGAIN BUT THIS TIME I WAS STANDING AFTER MY BM. The pain was 9/10. Still taking lactulose and liquid paraffin. Watching so many Christmas movies DREADING having to have a BM. (And I go twice a day but luckily I went once today)

21st-25th

I don't remember much. But my BM kept hurting and would be a bit difficult to come out (no fainting though ONLY SCREAMING AND CRYING!!!!) so I emailed my doctor and asked him what to do. He recommended I increase my fluid intake and stick to my high fiber diet. I already drink a lot of water so I found it odd that I had to drink even more. I found it easier to have a BM in the sitz bath with warm water. It still hurts don't get me wrong but the pain decreases from 10 to 9. I took a second dose of lactulose before bed to see if it would help my morning BM. OH BOY! NO IT DID NOT!

26th

HELL. ON. EARTH. I woke up and immediately ran to the bathroom. Filled my sitz bath and emptied my bowels. Now at this point my mom is very sick so I am basically on my own. It hurt like 6/10. I took a shower and had some oatmeal. GUESS WHAT!!! I had to go again. 6/10 again. I was praying I did not have diarrhea. I kept going. GOING AND GOING. Pain dropped to a 2/10 because I was passing water. Doctor told me to stop the lactulose and liquid paraffin and increase my fluids. After having over 10 BMs the pain increased to 8/10 because now I am SORE and everything burns. I am currently in bed dreading to urinate because I am afraid I may have another BM.

I FEEL SO DEPRESSED AND I DID NOT GET TO HAVE A JOYFUL CHRISTMAS WITH MY SON. I really hope this horrific pain goes away soon. Maybe at 2 weeks I'll feel better? I can only hope and pray!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can't speak to the procedure you had,BUT i can say having hemorrhoids in any grade SUCKS! I had several banded 6 months ago,and im reminded every day...after going to the bathroom. I can also say you need Fiber and 3+liters of water daily. Take at least 3-4 stool softeners a day. I take 2 in am and 3 around dinner. I also take metamucil once a day. (i was taking it 2-3 times,but found it bound me up if i didn't drink enough water),so i tapered down to 1ce a day. Unfortunately no matter how hard you try it seem we will continue to have/bear the negative effects of this. I will say im definitely much better than i was 6 months ago. I've also found what im eating directly effects my trips to the throne. Everyone heals different! I was told 2 weekšŸ¤£ it was a good 4 months until i started to feel somewhat better,but im reserved to the fact ill never be 100% again. Hemorrhoids wreak havoc on your backside! Pain, leaking, rashes ect. Id say im around 85% back, but regardless,still have external,that disappear within a few minutes,and certainly not "in pain" more so a discomfort after going. I try to eat as well as i can,drink lots of water,stay away from junk,and grease,stool softener and fiber! I wish you well,stay positive it will take some time in healing. Also hot baths as hot as you can stand,as many times as you can.

• Posted

Hi! 4 months until you started feeling better. Gosh I've read stories where some people would be 8 months into recovery with pain after their BM. I really do not want to regret having this surgery. I barely had any information given to me before and after my surgery. All I know is that mine were grade 3 and I had 2 removed. I am on a high fiber diet but I can only eat few foods because everything makes me nauseous. So my daily meal plan really consists of the same foods plus I drink around 3 liters of water. I do 2 sitz baths a day with warm water and epsom salts. My doctor prescribed lactulose and told me to stop the stool softeners but since the lactulose gave me diarrhea today I have to come off. I think I'll switch back to the stool softeners after I HEAL from this TRAUMATIC experience I had today lol. I had to take an imodium to stop myself from going to the bathroom. I am in actual hell.

• Posted

Things will get better I can promise you that

it's been 6 months since mine and no complaints I was off work 1 month to properly heal. After that things where Good

and the foods you eat now you will hate after your recovery. I would stop using the salts in the bath and just do hot water and sit in them 20 minutes each time. the saltz dry you right out and cause an odor.

the more baths you can do the faster heeler you become I found. use vasile or tucker's they really helped me out.

slowly get yourself off the fibers and return to a normal diet. And walking ... walking helps everything .

• Posted

Thanks for that tip! I had no idea that it would dry me out. Yesterday was the first day I was able to walk around a lot and now I can finally shower my son! Missed doing that!

• Posted

Hi Christy

sorry you experienced this, everyone is different of course to pain. I had a hemroidctomy done July 2019 and going back January 13th for a second one. The surgury helps everything does get better.

Most important thing is that YOU EAT properly.

take stool softener, take laxatives if you need to.

soak in a hot bath alot it helps with pain and comfort.

The FIRST BM is always the worst it's like a NIGHTMARE but in time things will become easier.

YOU need to be on a soft fiber diet.

my first BM was in a hospital after 9 days after surgury. It was hard but you learn as you go.

Eat a mint, keep things in the bathroom to take your mind off of what your doing, just so you dont need to think about the pain.

also nytocaine numbing cream helps alot

and take a pain medication before your BM

well good luck

• Posted

Hi Meaghan!

Sometimes my three year old son would stay with me in the bathroom until I'm finished and while he keeps me distracted from the hellish pain sometimes it's not enough. That burning, ripping feeling. Jeez. I still call my mom to stand near me in case I pass out again. I hope your second hemorrhoidectomy goes well. I could never in my life do that again. I heard taking stool softeners a few days before the surgery helps a ton.

• Posted

!!!!AN UPDATE!!!!

This morning I had a BM and my stool was not hard but it was still painful to pass since I was still sore from that horrible diarrhea yesterday. The day consisted of me drinking a TON of water because I feared constipation, eating pears, oatmeal with honey, grapes, peaches and vegetable soup. I was gassy all day, horrible stomach ache and very dizzy (I also have the cold). Half an hour ago I felt the need to have a BM so I sat down, put my feet up on the squatty potty I forgot I had and eventually it came down. I yelled for my mother because it did not want to exit my poor weak body. It hurt so bad since it was most definitely not soft whatsoever. I bawled my eyes out while holding onto my mom because I was in so much pain. I want to believe it was because of the diarrhea and the imodium I took to stop it. After I cleaned up and walked around I HAD TO GO AGAIN but this time barely anything came out and it was not as painful as before. It's like I can't catch a break here!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.