My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey (Part 2)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there everyone smile My name is Michelle and this is a part 2 of My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey posts. Feel free to read My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey (Part 1) to see what has led me up to this point. My Hemorrhoidectomy surgery was originally scheduled for April 28th, 2017, but this week it has officially been moved to the 27th of April, so only one day difference.

On part 1, in addition to sharing my feelings, I also briefly mentioned some of my plans about how to prepare for this day. Today is April 8, 2017 meaning less than 3 weeks to go and this is what has happened so far...

Last Friday I started getting some type of stomach virus, so since then, I haven't really eaten much...mostly salads and soups. A couple days ago, I started taking some pills that my primary dr had prescribed for tummy, so since then, trying to eat more, but still kind of hard to finish whole meals, so just taking it one day at a time. Since that sickness got in the way, kind of derailed some things, heheheh. But some exciting news for us is that we're going to take a mini "Spring Getaway" this upcoming weekend to just get away from it all. Will be nice to get away with family before surgery day, heheheh. Going to L.A, my favorite city and the only other major city I know so far wink

Now, seriously, since we just did our grocery shopping, starting Monday, the 10th, I will increase my fruit intake to at least 2 fruits a day, and continue eating salads several times each week. I'm already eating a lot less meat due to being sick, but I plan to cut out red meats completely for over a month about 10 days before the surgery, which would mean no more red meats starting on April 17th. What do you guys think about that? That part doesn't seem that challenging anymore since I'm barely eating meats now smile But I still have to increase water plus fiber intake plus get back on laxatives because I stopped taking them when I started getting sick last week. I'll start with 1 laxative a day for now, and increase to 2 laxatives a day one week before the procedure. I hope this will help me have less painful BMs after surgery day. I also plan to start to implement yogurt in my diet this week.

As for family plans, well, I just shared with you about our little getaway next weekend. Then, before the 27th, going to start getting birthday party supplies for my kids' birthday party which we moved to May 27th instead of May 20th. Kids are understanding with moving it one week. Also, my husband is making arrangements with one of our neighbor friends to come and "babysit" me and help clean house just a bit maybe once a week during the first 3 weeks or so after the surgery and my husband will pay her for her work and time.

I think that's it for now. I'm probably forgetting something, but can't remember now. I'll post Part 3 to My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey most likely after we get back from our little getaway to L.A. about how everything's going and anymore plans I may have in preparing for the 27th. I feel like I'm in a way nesting, lol.

I'm still very nervous, but I know that in my case since other methods didnt work, it's for the best.

Thanks again so much for reading this, and if you have any questions/comments/feedback/suggestions of any type, please feel free to share them with me - thank you so much in advance! And God Bless wink

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Good luck. Would like to hear the results of your surgery. Hopefully not too much pain.
    • Posted

Hi Zubs! smile

Thank u so much & I will definitely be updating on results after surgery day. I also hope it won't be too painful. Have u had this experience before? Or are u going to go through a hemorrhoidectomy in the near futute? If so, would love to hear of ur experience wink

As of today, no more red meats for me at least until 1 month or so post surgery. Will be kind of hard, but oh well. I'll be posting part 3 of my Hemorrhoidectomy Journey within the next couple of days. Thanks for reading & for your time - take care wink

• Posted

Hi Andrea you are a very strong girl since mine was really an emergency surgery after I cancelled the first surgery operation 7 yrs ago. Last March 22 I went to the ER because after last BM got profuse bleeding around 6-8 tsp
    • Posted

Hi Hernino & thank u! smile

Also, thank u for sharing ur experience with me! Wow, so u ended up having an emergency surgery? OMG, that must have been scary at the moment..ur very brave for going through this.

When I bleed, I don't know how much I bleed everytime, but all I know is that usually the toilet is filled with blood plus lots of blood drops when wiping with small blood clots included. For years, I have gotten used to it and just dealt with it especially when I had no insurance at the time. But those scenes would freak out my husband when I sometimes would show him.

When I started seeing my colorectal surgeon, she said that the bleeding would be mainly from my anal fissure that I didn't know about until she told me. So, after giving me Analphram to treat the fissure, the bleeding has reduced, but I still do bleed frequently, just not as much in volume. And the pain, well, that's just there no matter what.

So, it has been almost a month since you had ur surgery. How are you feeling now?? How have you been doing for the most part? I hope your pain-free (at least for the most part) by now & haven't had any complications/infections due to surgery.

Thanks again for sharing & feedback - take care wink

• Posted

Hi Andrea, It's great that you have time to prepare for hem surgery but unfortunately Yes, had my emergency surgery so I don't have time to prepare physically and emotionally. I've been in the hospital for 3 nights, it was a successful surgery but until now I was not able to go back to work due to fatigue, it easy for me to get tired when Im doing house chores. I'm 30y.o, in normal built asian and about 72 kg. I was able to check my the size of ligated hems (microscooic exam to know whether the tissue incised is cancerous or not) which is about 30x 20x 15 mm and must be the reason it was kinda long time to regain my original strength by now I can say I'm in 70-80 % already

• Posted

In the emergency room, the resident doctor asked me the estimated blood loss during every BM measuring in tsp. I got an original surgery 7 yrs ago but cancelled it since it was college days graduation time. I dont usually bleed unless its being ruptured due to force, extreme activities, mainly stress related and if I fail to manually insert it again. Well, the size of my hems is definitely big, its taking me very long time to clean it after the bowel movement due to hems and because of this, having hemorrhoidectomy is one of my decisions in my life so far. Let me give you this tips before your surgery;

1. Definitely, you need to loss weight before surgery, so thats right you gradually change your diet to fruits and veggies.

2. But still eat enough before your surgery date coz you will lost your appetite after the surgery. I was not able to eat rice just fruits and veggies in 2 wks after surgery.

3. Ask your doctor about the pre operative procedure eg. Enema instructions, pre operative labs, laxative 12 hrs before surgery and the dos and donts the day before the operation.

4. Ask emotional support with your husband, be with him before and after the surgery coz you will need it. Undergone surgery with the absence of my wife since Im working in far city away from home.

5. You need the best and friendly nurses in the hosp., make a good rapport to them.

• Posted

Btw, luckily regarding to pain I just tske the pain relievers in the hospital for 3 days. Mostly Intravenous and few oral pain relievers like tramadol plus paracetamol. My internal hems was internal one so it is painless during BM but the first 24 hrs of the surgery pls prepare for mild pain and discomfort. I am planning to move back in my city after the surgery, I totally need my kids and wife for me to regain myself lol. It was a very hard experience I guess having surgery and you are alone.

• Posted

Hi again, Hernino smile

Wow, u have been through quite a lot. Thankfully after a month since your surgery, ur doing pretty well...so glad to hear wink Thank u so much for sharing your experience & for all the tips - will keep them all in mind, and anyways, am taking notes here & there about the tips/advice I've been reading about/receiving. Will be posting my experience post surgery soon. Surgery day less than a week to go, oh joy, lol.

Thanks again & take care smile

• Posted

Hi Andrea, goodluck to your surgery! I'm in my 26 days post-op hemorrhoidectomy grade 3 internal hems. Y

• Posted

Hi again everyone! smile

Just want to let you guys know that I have just posted part 3 of My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey. Surgery Day is 3 days away, so feel free to read & comment. Thanks again in advance - take care & God Bless wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.