My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey (Part 6)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone! smile

My name's Michelle and this is part 6 of My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey. Please feel free to read parts 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 to see what has led me up to this point, how and why.

I have lots of updating to do regarding the past week, so here goes...

POD 5:

Tuesday, May 2, 2017. Today was the first time of having a bowel movement since surgery day. It happened around noon. Had the urge to go, tried to do my best to get into Squatting position by using my daughter's old potty which I used to elevate my feet. And it finally happened. Had to push just a bit. Was very painful, more blood than usual with clots and quite intense, but surprisingly not as painful as I expected. For first bm post surgery, I honestly expected much worse pain-wise. Afterwards, I washed up with warm water down there, finished cleaning up, etc. and went back to bed. What I felt afterwards was crazy. I felt shaky, as if I was trembling a bit and out of energy. And within a few minutes, the awful burning came. Started out gradually, and got stronger and quite unbearable I should say. And when I wanted to walk, it hurt sooo much. Pain pills and nothing would calm this burning pain. Lasted for several hrs. During evening hrs, pain finally started to go down to tolerable level. So, yeah, pain-filled day, along with nonstop rectal bleeding, and still some discharge/drainage as well. Not much change in diet. I've also been keeping up with stool softeners everytime I take pain pill and even in between the times I take pain pills.

POD 6:

Wednesday, May 3, 2017.

Today was a similar scenario as yesterday. Bowel movement happened at around 11am, so a bit earlier today. The bm moment was a bit more painful, but still not as bad as I expected. Again, a bit shaken, and when horrible afterburn began, I also felt nausea, lots of it, and not sure why. I was in bed feeling terrible, and wanted to try to sleep it off, but only managed to sleep about 20min or so. I didn't want to know anything about food the rest of the day. The burning pain again stayed with me all day. I finally ate some soup and crackers by the end of the day. Still nonstop rectal bleeding and some rectal discharge/drainage, but less than the previous days. Still taking lots of stool softeners. Also, want to share that during the day while I was in lots of burning pain, I managed to do a bit of shopping online just to distract myself and because I had planned to do so this week anyways, not for myself, but for my mom, sister in law and a couple of friends. Ordered some flowers & treats to be delivered to each of them for Mom's Day, so am looking forward to when they get that later this wk..hope they enjoy wink

POD 7:

Thursday, May 4, 2017.

Wow, it has officially been a week since surgery day! Am I feeling better? In general, I guess a tad bit..burning pain after BMs are definitely no fun, but when pain is at tolerable level, I can move around more easily and at least urinating doesn't hurt anymore, lol. Bowel movement happened a bit later today around 1pm. Was as painful as yesterday, bleeding as well, but didn't feel shaken as the previous days, and thankfully no nausea. Didn't do this the previous days after bm, so due to not looking forward to horrible afterburn pain and in hopes of trying to prevent it, I jumped in a hot shower. Shower was wonderful. No pain during shower whatsoever. Afterwards, the only thing it did is delayed the afterburn. Enough to comfortably brush my hair & get dressed. Then it started. Oh boy sad My mom and baby sis stopped by to see me & help out with kids for a couple hrs which was nice. Later during the early evening hrs, still in lots of pain, I managed to go outside for a bit. It hurt, but I felt I needed to do it, and walked very slowly like a penguin around the yard trying to enjoy the late daylight with my kiddos & husband. The bad pain stayed with me til later that evening and finally got to tolerable level by bedtime. Everything else in regards to diet, meds and bleeding was pretty much the same as the previous day.

POD 8:

Friday, May 5, 2017.

Today is our pet doggie's, Chip, first birthday. Since I usually have a painful time walking now and spend lots of time in bed, Kiddos and husband brought Chip to bed so we could all sing Happy Birthday before they started getting ready for school. As soon as I awoke, I realized that I felt out of energy, as if I was in a weakened state. I could barely move and was in more pain than I usually am in mornings. Kids went to school, husband had to leave to work. I could barely get out of bed, and felt very light headed which is not usual for me at this time. Any walking I did were my trips to bathroom. My sister in law had the day off from work and decided to spend the day taking care of me, the house and later my kiddos. Very much appreciated. I had the urge to have bowel movement around 1pm, but it didn't happen. But I felt it qas there, so I made the mistake to push. Only bled more, and afterburn came anyways sad So, when bm didn't happen, I realized I was constipated. Not sure why. Diet was same, have stayed away from cheese, red meats, ice cream, etc. Have been taking lots of stool softeners more than the hydrocone pills. I honestly don't know what went wrong, but constipation happened. Anyways, went back to bed with painful afterburn. My diet today changed a bit because she cooked some fish. Hadn't had fish for what seemed forever, so I was grateful when she cooked some up, lol. Later, around 5pm, I had the urge to go again. Felt it, and again, pushed, which was not good. More blood, and much more afterburn pain. Plus pain spasms were back. Very frustrating sad I had some soup for dinner. Sister-in-law left around 9pm. With lots of pain & feeling very weak still, by bedtime, I felt pretty down about today. I couldn't even sleep despite taking more pain pills than usual due to pain. I felt as if it was a step back. I even felt as if the first couple days were somewhat easier compared to now that it has been over a week since surgery day. I stayed up almost all night and finally fell asleep by 4am, but was awake again around 8am.

POD 9:

Saturday, May 6, 2017.

Today thank God was better than yesterday. Pain was at tolerable level all day long. I did wake up with some nausea though, but managed to eat a bit of cereal for breakfast. My husband had to go to work for a while today. I tended to kids' needs when necessary, and stayed in bed. My dad (who lived in Guatemala) called me to check up on me and we chatted for a bit. My Sister-in-law was back around noon. Handled the kids. I felt well enough to walk around, still like a penguin, but was up, and chatted with my Sister-in-law about everything. She stayed for only a couple hrs. I managed to wash a few dishes & do some laundry before husband came home. I had the urge to have bowel movement around 2pm, but when I went, nothing happened. I didn't try to push or strain this time, so no afterburn for once, yay, but still constipated. Didn't even take pain pills all days, except before bedtime, and only took stool softeners through out the day. Still bleeding rectally, but no.more discharge. Overall, in despite of conatipation, day went well compared to all the previous days. wink

POD 10:

Sunday, May 7, 2017.

Too bad the extreme pain returned today sad but I see yesterday as a little break from the horrible, bad pain. Anyways, husband had the day off today as he usually does on Sundays. I stayed in bed most of the day again because the weakness seemed to have come back. Still constipated. Had a yummy salad for breakfast. Around noon, I seriously thought that I finally was going to go. Went to bathroom, and did the mistake to strain and push again. Just blood, and the usual awful afterburn. Felt it was a bit worse than previous afterburns. Kept me in bed all day. Nothing helped. Husband gave me ice pack. Didn't do much really. Eventually had chicken soup fpr lunch. Neighbors visited later in the afternoon and that distracted me a bit from the pain. Pain had finally come down to tolerable level during the evening hrs. For dinner, wasn't that hungry and just had some yogurt & fruit. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

POD 11:

Monday, May 8, 2017.

Constipation is finally gone. Had bowel movement around 8:45am. So far, the most painful & intense one since surgery. Lots of blood as I expected. Felt very shaken afterwards. Washed up down there with warm water. Then as usual, awful burning began. Had some cereal for breakfast. Had pain pill hoping it would help and didn't help. Just dealt with it. Had chicken soup for lunch. Surprisingly, had another bm around 6pm while I was still dealing with afterburn from morning bm. Painful & Intense, yes. Blood, of course. In hopes that it would help with the anticipated extra afterburn, I jumped into hot shower. As soon as I got out of shower, the awful afterburn pain returned with a vengeance. Stayed in bed and for dinner, I had a nice salad. Around bedtime, I started feeling lots of pressure and horrible pain spasms in addition to afternoon pain. Went to bathroom, and had a 3rd bm. Wow. Washed up down there. Took another pain pill. And now, I'm still awake finishing up this post. For some reason, I have lots of nausea. Driving me crazy..going to take a pill for nausea. That's the end of POD 11.

And yeah, that's my update. Will post part 7 probably by the end of this week. Any questions, comments, advice, feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading - take care & God Bless wink

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dang Michelle, hoping for a better days for you ! You have been through some hell like days. I certainly feel for you dear. God Bless and strengthen you!
    • Posted

Hi Kat smile

Tell me about it! Days filled with pain definitely not fun, heheheh...

Thank you so much for well wishes..will update soon with part 7.

Btw, how r u doing?? Hope ur getting the answers u need & have found some relief for ur pain! Plz keep me posted wink

Talk to you later - take care wink

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Sounds like you're doing relatively well. Trust me, most of the feelings you describe above were things I went through also!

I remember going to the bathroom and having the bath running prior to a BM so I could more or less pass out in the bath after the BM. The faint feeling is unsettling, and I actually used the bathroom with the door unlocked for a few days in case I did actually pass out!

Have a great weekend, stay mobile and try to get outside!

Let me know if you have any other questions! I had my discharge (6 weeks post surgery) check-up at the hospital a few days ago and was given the all clear, including a confirmation I no longer had haemorrhoids, so am incredibly happy with that. I never want them to come back.

Cheers,

Pete.

• Posted

Hi Pete smile

I'm amazed by how well you have recovered from this ordeal! And so glad that ur doing great & free of hems! Thank u again for sharing with us ur experience - very much appreciated, not to mention the tips & advice wink

Been over 2wks for me since surgery day, and so far not there yet...before bm time, I seem to be ok, pain at either tolerable or low level, and able to move around a bit. It's the after bm time that I struggle with highly to the point that walking or even moving is sooo painful, I get desperate so if possible, I try to sleep it off, but not always the case, so do my best to just deal with it.

The last few days I've been having lots of rectal discharge...I had it the first wk, and had stopped, but now come back, and it's more now. Weird and gross, sorry tmi. Did you deal a lot with that? As if the bleeding weren't enough, lol...

Anyways, I'll update more in part 7 soon. Thanks again so much for your helpful feedback & talk to you later - take care wink

• Posted

Hey again,

I think its all normal, I walked around with toilet paper in my undies for about 2 weeks after the surgery!

• Posted

Hi again Pete! smile

Again, very happy you're doing well! :-)

Walking around with toilet paper must have not been fun. I have been using pads since surgery day, but am used to wearing pads every month anyways, lol.

Thank you always for your tips & feedback! Always appreciated! Talk to you later, God Bless & take care wink

• Posted

Hey everyone, hope everyone's doing well smile I just posted Part 7 of My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey. Please feel free to read and comment. Thanks in advance! Take care & God Bless wink

• Posted

The afterpain scares me. What kind of pads are you wearing? Just period pads or depends underwear? Did you have a detachable shower head to clean up ? I moved into a new place in Feb and it's only a shower head, no hose attachment. So I'm a little worried about how I'm going to clean up. I guess I could just sit in a shallow tub of warm water and splash around?

• Posted

Hi again K smile

The afterpain for me was always horrible especially the first few wks post surgery. I don't have a detachable shower head, so if I didn't get completely into a hot shower, I would use water bottles filled with warm/hot water to help clean up better down there. So, just an idea I'm sharing with u which I received from another forum site ;-) but I hate to say based on experience that whatever you do, it may possibly not alleviate the long hrs filled with afterburn pain. Hopefully you have it easier, but just warning you...

I wish you only the best - please keep me posted - take care & God Bless wink

• Posted

Oh yeah, and as for pads, just regular period pads the first few wks wink
  • Posted

I'm sitting on an ice pack right now. I'm hungry but too painful to move around. I feel like I'm swollen and it feels like I have an external hemorrhoid sticking out but much worse pain than pre surgery. 

• Posted

Hi k!!

I know the very feeling :-(

Im sooo sorry...I don't wish this upon anyone but unfortunately that's what we go through when it comes to while recovering from this surgery...

I'm so sorry took me forever to respond but lots has been going on, but anyways, how r u doing now?? I hope & pray better...I would not be surprised if u said still the same. Awww...

If u haven't yet, maybe try cold wet towels...sometimes that had helped for me, not always, but am hoping they will help u lots.

Hoping for less pain for u!! Plz continue to take it ez...

Plz keep me posted - take care and God Bless ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.