My hip replacement rebcovery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 9 weeks post op and have had a terrible time.Firstly after 2 weeks I took a chest infection which went into my left lung and during this I had no signs of any infection ie.cough or phlegm and still to this day have terrible pain in my lung area especially at night when I wake up the pain is terribly.I had 2 antibiotics and Dr said the infection is away so wonder why I still have pain.On Mon I was out with my friend in her car and when getting into car I took the most excruciating pain on my wound area of op leg and had to go to A&E where they gave me a xray and saud the hip was fine but my muscle had went into spasam.This is now Fri and I still have the pain certain ways I sit.This whole procedure is getting me down as I don't seem to be getting out the bit

I am frightened to sleep on my side in case of anymore mishaps.Anyone got any suggestions that might help .x

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I assume you have been checked for DVT/PE if not why not and you need to be.

All the best

• Posted

Did they test your lungs for a blood clot? I don’t mean to scare you but it could have been a possibility.

Lots of people on here have had Bursitis in their hip after THR  which is extremely painful.

• Posted

Thankfully I didn’t have a lung infection but at week four had a high temperature and sore throat followed by a UTI. The antibiotics made me very sick so gave them up. 

I am almost 16 weeks post op and have pain day and night. Thankfully I have been seeing a Bowen therapist and so finally seeing an improvement. Firstly my sacroiliac joint was the issue now it’s a glute in spasm. I will be glad when it’s all behind me. 

• Posted

Hi catt1! Sad to say I am at 6 months post op and still having the same issues. Still have pain and need a cane for support. The hip itself is healing, but all the muscles around it are a mess. First, the SI joint, then the piriformis muscle which is squeezing the sciatic nerve....painful! It is very depressing thinking this will never go away. I hope you will feel better soon.
    • Posted

Oh Linda I feel for you. Hope you see some improvement soon. Are you managing to drive? 
    • Posted

Yes, Catt1, I do drive....not very far. Thank goodness because shopping with my husband was driving me nuts!🤣🤣

• Posted

I haven’t felt confident enough yet but am giving it a whirl tomorrow x
  • Posted

Reene, I have to echo laura and would suggest you get tested for blood clots in the lungs. I developed them between week 7 and 8 and am now on apixaban for 3 months.

I had a very bad pain under the breast and to the left, be safe and get checked out.

• Posted

Reene, I have just re-read your post, I did not have a cough or phlegm, please go to hospital for a CT scan, an ordinary x-ray did not show the clots. It is your life so insist on a CT scan, just to be on the safe side.
  • Posted

I’m four weeks post op so I guess by nine you were pretty well on your way to recovery. I think the problem for all of us is we expect too much of ourselves. I was mowing the lawn after two weeks and not using crutches or sticks....and learnt the hard way! I’m now being good. I think that a lot of the pain I have experienced is certainly from the muscles spasaming. I have to keep reminding myself of what actually happened in doing a hip replacement....what it involves ....so no wonder! I know there is this magic six weeks....I was told that with my hysterectomy four years ago but my god it takes a lot longer than that to feel normal again. I’m frustrated that I can’t walk far yet as thought I’d be bouncing along with the dog by now!

I think it sounds like set backs will happen along the way but you have to go back to basics....take pain killers and anti inflams to relax the muscles and use a stick again even if it’s just for a short time. Also people are kinder if they see you with a stick. 

Have you tried hydro therapy or being in warm water to do a few strengthening exercises? 

All the best

• Posted

Hi reene,

How are you, are you feeling better. Did you go back to the doctor, I have been worrying about you and praying you have not got any clots in the lungs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.