My HoLEP experience.

Posted , 17 users are following.

Just thought I'd inform anyone interested that a week ago this 70-year-old UK citizen had a self-funded HoLEP procedure at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

Consultant urologist Mr Aho informed me the procedure went very well.  And I think to confirm that, after only five days, at least to my naked eye, blood in my urine disappeared.

I've had absolutely no pain at all. The only transient discomfort was when peeing, as a little stinging was evident.  But this disappeared after about 4 or 5 days.  

My flow rate has dramatically increased.  Incredibly I can now push out 300 mL in 10 seconds.   Frequency has more than halved. 

But crucially importantly, the prior dreadful quality-of-life negatively affecting 'void urgency' has disappeared.

So just one week post operation I'm now confident my three separate painful emergency full retention/haematuria trauma hospital stay admission episodes of recent months are very much a thing of the past.

My only regret is I didn't have this HoLEP procedure quite some years ago.   

My very grateful thanks to all forum members who  take time to contribute, educate and assist fellow BPH sufferers in their various difficulties and battles.

I think it's fair to say that thanks to modern science , ingenious inventions, highly skilled clinicians and hospital staff , I now have a much enhanced freedom quality of life!

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Having suffered nocturnal leakage for a while I was diagnosed a few weeks ago with an enlraged bladder and water retention (750m). Very difficult, almost impossible, to get NHS appt even with GP, so go private.

Have had 3 separate consultations, all slightly different. some offering TURP, which have decided is rather old hat and somewhat barbaric. Now looking to HoLEP. The surgeon is offering a very early date, however reading others experiences am wondering if the op may be a little premature. My postate is 30cc ( which I understand is not large) my PSA is 3. Have always been fit and not overweight, was subjected to considerable stress 5 years ago ( Family issues) after which my health broke.

One Urologist stated , having seen blood test, my kidney function was not 100% and did suggest water retention could be putting pressure on 1 kidney.

Not on any medication and none has been suggested. Having read elsewhere surgery should only be considered once other medical interventions have been completed. Don't have a catheter.

I would welcome the experiences and opinions of those who have suffered similar symptoms. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.