My HoLEP prostatectomy

Posted , 48 users are following.

I thought I'd report whilst things are still fresh in my memory.

Well, I got home this afternoon (Thurs) after the op Tues @ 7 p.m. And things seem to be working OK. No more Tamsulosin needed, so that's one benefit right there. I'll update after a few days as the the other possible effects.

The anaesthetist chose a spinal anaesthetic, which I was somewhat chary of, prefering to be totally knocked out. Later I remembered that there'd been some research that found that older people who had anaesthetics died earlier, so he was right on that score. He also told me that this way I had a smaller number of anaesthetics (general meant 14!, this way 1 to 3).

I didn't like the thought of being awake and watching the op, but he assured me I wouldn't feel a thing; I wouldn't see anything; and I'd be able to feed and drink more or less straight afterward rather than many hours later. And so it came to pass. Just numb legs for a while. I really didn't feel anything. All over in about an hour. I even dozed a bit on the op table.

However, that night (Tues) was not good. I had a constant feeling of wanting to sh*t. However, no matter how hard I tried (and I used two laxative suppositories), virtually nothing happened. I later found out this is a side effect of the somewhat larger catheter and balloon that was put in place.

So I found it hard to sleep. But just when I did doze off once, the nurse came in for the fourth time to take my blood pressure (2.00 am?). I was really upset and told her not to do any more (all the previous ones had been OK anyway). But by then I couldn't get back to sleep. So I was wretched all the next day (yesterday).

However, last night I got to sleep about 8:30 pm; and slept right through to breakfast. Bliss.

The surgeon had come in on Weds; told me about the defecation urge origin; said I could go home today if my urine was pretty clear by then and the catheter had come out. I see him again in a couple of weeks, when the result of the biopsy will be with him. He also said only 10% need the op again in 10 years; most are fixed for good. Here's hoping.

I was apprehensive about the removal of the catheter. In the end though, it wasn't too bad. I did most of it myself, easing it and rotating it a bit when it seemed to stick. Whew! Great. Then I pee'd  a couple of times to test things; told I was OK to go. I left.

Home by 3 pm today. Then did a good walk (4 miles) and all's well. Still some blood and bits, but most clear. Good flow. Now to see how I am at night.

2 likes, 171 replies

171 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Anyone who reads this site:  I have experienced great benefit from all posts, which my wife has read me.  Thank you.  I had HOLeP surgery with Dr. Lingeman at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis and am now in my 10th day after surgery.  I almost died when I had Acute Urinary Retention (AUR) as, while I had always had trouble peeing (for past few years) my body had never completely shut down.  I had to wait 2.5 months for HOLeP wearing a catheter and those were dark days (but I was alive).

After HOLeP I can pee.  There was some blood and pain during urination but manageble.  I'm not bleeding anymore.  I realize now that when the tip of my penis hurts I should go and pee (while this might seem obvious before this was not the sensation that alerted me to pee, it was 'being full'.)

My brothers who are experiencing this, please accept my support and encouragement.  Once I realized I was out of danger of dying, I was able to relax and follow Dr. Lingeman's instructions to the letter.

My wife has been an Angel throughout.  Of course I am worried about any sexual side-effects but that's in the future and Dr. Lingeman assures me that the side-effects are not dangerous.

I am DELIGHTED with the HOLeP and my only saving grace for the years I was 'managing' my prostrate problem is that during those years, Dr. Lingeman developed HOLeP.

Again, thanks for all who posted and gave their personal experiences. The key as I was preparing for surgery and now recovering is that I realize that "I am not alone" and that others have felt the same way. 

I'm hoping for a complete recovery in about 2 months.  Yes, this is "no walk in the park", it IS Surgery, and I have to withstand some pain but I believe I can do it and I hope you can as well.

• Posted

Glad to hear all went well.  10 days is early in recovery, but you'll likely find progress is noticeable in the days and weeks ahead.  I had HoLEP last January, was totally recoverd after about 2 months, and am thankful to my uro every time I relieve myself!  So nice to have that one aging issue behind me.  Just wish everyone could have the benefit of the knowledge we have all gained going through these various procedures.

• Posted

Hello D. Stewar

Great story, glad things went well with HOLEP, I'm also suffering from BPH and wearing a catheter now for the past 4 months and still waiting for my HOLEP operation which hopefully will happen by the end of the month, I have a complete blockage and my prostate is 100 grams. I just hope the operation will go well for me too. 

All the best to you

John

• Posted

Hello John-T

I am honored you wrote me; thank you.  I'm sure you are on some sort of 'cancellation list' and hope that you can get in earlier than the end of the month but if not, then most certainly by the end of the month.  For what it's worth, 93 grams were taken out of me, so our coinditions are similar.  

You will have relief and a new segment of life.

I sincerely hope those words give you encouragement and strength as you near the finish line of this segment of your life.   Take care. Continue being strong.  You can do it.  You have no choide, of course.  Continue being strong.  Relief is on its way.

Dave

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, Paul 20443!  For me, every day is a sign of encouragment and healing --less blood, less pain, less discomfort.  And yes it's now a real time of gratitude every time I relieve myself. Glad it worked for you and of course am glad it's working for me.

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your encouragement, much appreciated, you know when you wait that long with a catheter my mind can`t help wondering if I will ever get well and be able to urinate again normally but I keep a positive attitude and cross my fingers that it will happen on that date at the end of the month. I`m still debating if I should go for anesthesia or spinal for the operation, any thoughts on that

Thanks

John

• Posted

Hi John,

Yes, I understand.  As for the "choice", I had anesthesia but my Doctor made the decision (and so shouild yours). I am glad I had anesthesia, by the way, though coming out of it is a real experience as is the complete loss of time during it.  My suggestion is to totally trust your Doctor, and I am saying that because it takes a lot of stress off you.  You made the choice (a correct one, in my opinion) to have HOLeP, leave everything else to the Doctor and follow what you're told.  No more wondering 'what did I do to deserve this' or 'what can I do to correct this'. I hope it does not sound corny or bed-side conversion stuff, but prayer helped in my situation and still does.  I've never been part of a 'support group' and don't think I'll monitor this site all the time because I'm going through my personal version of this and have to focus on me.  I think your statement: "if I keep a positive attitude and cross my fingers" is the correct one, the only one.  Please don't take it wrong if I'm not 'here' anymore...I'm no expert and only wrote in because I took great solace from the others who wrote.  Now I have to get back to being selfish.  I'll probably check in a couple of months because Paul's positive comment REALLY helped me.  After the surgery there is the Recovery but it's a MILLION times better than prior.  Best wishes, my Brother(s).

Cordially,

?Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me and share your experience, it's much appreciated, yes I tend to be partial for anesthesia since I'm the hyper type so pretty anxious, I think waking up when all is done will be a big relief for me. I understand about the recovery period I'm sure it will beat what I went through in the past 4 months.

Thanks for being there and sharing your experience, and yes just like you I will aslo be selfish and only come here from time to time, lot's of great people here sharing their story and helping others go through it.

All the best

John

• Posted

Hi D stewar. I commented here for months about my research about methods, why i chose Holep, why I chose the Mayo and Dr Humphreys in Phoenix and I'm sure I sounded much like you; satisfied that the Holep method is the best but it is still surgery and outcomes are not always predictable. I am almost two years post surgery now and I have had no recurring problems. Dr Lingaman is the most experienced of all the surgeons who perform Holep.

You made the right decisions and the results will therefore be very favorable. Now enjoy the rest of your life free of BPH forever. Congratulations!  

RonTexan 

• Posted

Just found this discussion, as I am looking into/considering Holep.  So far, heard that general anesthesia was used, but would prefer spinal as was used in your case.  Would it be for someone my age: 76?
    • Posted

When I had a different form of laser prostate surgery they opted for GA as the procedure was going to take over three hours and they seemingly did not want to use a local for so long.
    • Posted

Hi Fred,

Since then I've had a couple of GAs, where I discussed this with the anaesthesatist v. spinal and each time they convinced me to stay with GA. Their argument was that the evidence in favour of spinal is not clear cut; that 'cos it effects the legs much more, it means you have to stay in hospital overnight ('cos walking is too hazardous).

The spinal was good in that I was awake all the time, especially afterwards. But the extra night wasn't really worth it. As to memory problems (my reason to have spinal), I haven't noticed any difference - but by the nature of the 'problem', I wouldn't, would I?

Oh, I'm 80 by the way.

• Posted

A lot depends on the size of the prostate. During the morcellation part of the procedure(the part after the laser where the prostate chnks are chopped up within the bladder and sucked out) it is important to have the bladder distended to avoid sucking in the bladder and causing damage- this is usually best achieved with a GA so there's no discomfort from a distended bladder that the spinal hasn't reached and avoids sudden straining or changes in bladder distension, for example if a patient coughs. Having said that, experienced surgeons will often consider a spinal for smaller prostates when the morcellation is more straightforward.

• Posted

My first thought after coming round from my heart valve replacement was for my memory. As I had an intensive care nurse to myself I was able to converse with her to test it out.
  • Posted

I am due to have a Holep on Monday next at The Winterbourne Hospital. Any tips on what to expect? I am keen to get the catheter removed!
    • Posted

Roy.... after my Holep they didn't say anything about leakage/bleeding; you need to take some kind of incontinence pad/brief ..... you'll need it for a week or so, then it all settles down.  You'll be very glad you chose Holep!

• Posted

Paul - thanks. The doctor has not warned me about this so thanks for the tip.l am happy with the sound of the reports but this is a first for our local hospital!
    • Posted

I'd like to chime in here, my brothers, especially Ron Texan and John-T.

It's been around 3 months since HOLeP surgery (Dr. Lingeman, Methodist Hospital, Indianapolis) gave me a new start.

Yes there was some bleeding and leakage in the mending phase, but nothing bad and, of course, FAR BETTER than pre-surgery.

I'm "p*ssing like a racehorse" and back to my normal activities (I am 61).

I strongly recommend HOLeP to anyone and of course you must trust your Doctor/Surgeon.

I hope you got relief, John-T and my heart goes out to anyone of my Brothers who is presently having to endure the catheter.

Be strong, relief is on the way.   Over and out and am following (and repeat) the advice of Ron Texan --"enjoy the rest of your life".

Dave

• Posted

The UK hospital where I had GL PVP in 2005 has now switched over to Holep. They were happy with second generation GL but marginally preferred Holep. 
    • Posted

Hi Roy,

It's now a couple of years since I had mine, so my memory is getting a little hazy. I recall the whole thing being quite easy and overall pleasant. The anaesthatist and surgeon were very attentitive and put me at ease. 

Later, it was difficult to get the surgeon to explain why it took me 14 months before all signs of the op to go away - just the haematuria and leukocytes. The catheter was, I think, removed by the time I left the hospital the next day - much to my relief.

My urine flow was immediately much better - back to normal almost. It is now not so good, but much better than before the op when I had high retention (now down from over one litre to 20-50mL). I get up once or twice a night now.

Hope that helps

• Posted

Thanks Ian.I am 73 but usually quite fit so i,m hoping for a good long trem result. At least to get round 18 holes without a pee stop.
    • Posted

You spent time hunting for a ball in the bushes??
    • Posted

Hello,

I am hoping some people that have actually had the HOLEP done can chime in with how the sex life is after? If RE is the big negative of this procedure, I would like to know what people that actually had this procedure done think of it. I have had RE from BPH medication, but have read that it might not be the same.

Also, how is the long term success? I haven't seen too much negative on this procedure, other than RE, and most of the people that comment on that haven't had it done. I have looked at all other options, so I am just looking for HOLEP stories.

Thanks

• Posted

As it is only four weeks since my HoLep, i cannot yet say what the long term effects are. I was told that sperm could no longer be produced but as I,m 73 that doesn,t bother me.

i am experiencing some urinary tract infections which cause some stinging and rapid rushes to the loo. However the flow is generally good which is a great relief. I am now able to get on with life reasonably nprmally and will be pleased to get over the UTI!s soon.

• Posted

Hi

I supposse my HoLEP can be counted as a success. When I do pee, it's a good stream. However, I still get up in the night; at least once, often twice, and sometimes three times.

As for RE, it doesn't bother me - I still seem to orgasm as much.

• Posted

I’ve been following this blog for about 10 months and have heard a lot about cathing, drugs, and the various BPH procedures including PAE, Rezum, Urolift, TURP, Green Light Laser and HoLEP.  The following summarizes what I’ve read as best I can.

Bottom line:  drugs may work for a while (for me it was about 3 years), but they are not a long term solution and can also result in damage the bladder from constantly being over extended/full.  I used tamsulosin (Flomax) and dutasteride which did help, but eventually as the prostate continued to grow, the effect was lessened. Plus I realized later the drugs zapped my sex drive.

Some procedures seem to work for some but not all.  Worse yet, some have reported total incontinence after their surgical procedures.  It’s hard to tell if it was a botched job or not.

The best answer imho is surgery, specifically HoLEP.  I did the research on all the procedures (except PAE….had not heard of it), and chose HoLEP.  It is the best surgical procedure because; 1) less time in the hospital and a on catheter (less than 24 hours), 2) less bleeding, 3) very small chance of needing a repeat procedure, and 4) they remove prostate tissue (instead of burning or otherwise destroying it), so they can biopsy it for cancer.  I have heard no reports of anyone having HoLEP and needing a second procedure or experiencing incontinence or needing to continue cathing.  I’ve heard way too many horror stories on this blog about TURP & GL.  My uro explained that they both burn the tissue out, and therefore leave scar tissue.  That tends to shrink over time, and hence the need for a repeat procedure. With HoLEP, they cut the tissue away, grind it up with a ‘morcellator’, push it into the bladder, and then wash it back out.

Yes, you have retro ejac, but sex drive returns, and since I don’t plan to have any more children (age 68), it’s not a problem for me.  I was retaining close to 800ml, and my prostate was 85 grams, PSA 3.8.  After it was 46 grams, PSA 0.2.  I had my surgery in January, and after two to three months had no problems at all.  I did have leakage for 3 or 4 weeks.  Some in the UK report they were told to do Kegel exercises for a few months before surgery to avoid this.

I have heard varied reports on PAE which is done by interventional radiologists.  It is an outpatient procedure and far less invasive.  However, I don’t believe it’s covered by most insurance, and because of the iffy results, don’t think I’d try it.

Lastly, the experience & ability of the doc is critical, and often difficult to determine.  Hospital ratings for various specialties can be found in the US News & World Report evaluations.  Bios for docs may or may not be available.  For example, the Mayo Clinic was rated best in the nation, and they have the education and publications of their uro docs listed…… very helpful. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the info. I am looking at going to Mayo in Phoenix, as it is the closest to me. I'm 53, and don't want anymore kids, so retro is not a problem to me. I have been ruled out for PAE, and I think I have ruled out most other options. Tried Itind, but doesn't seem to be working very good anymore. 

Only downside seems to be retro, that's why I am asking for people that have had the HoLep done to comment on what it is like. I don't care to read everyone else's opinion on this, as I have seen those comments all over this forum.

• Posted

See if you can get Dr. Humphreys..... he's the top of the food chain when it comes to HoLEP.

• Posted

That's who I am trying to see. He is pretty booked up. It's a few months before you can even get a consultation. 

Not too many people commenting here. I'm hoping that means it was successful and they have moved on from this forum. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.