My horrible periods keep me in bed for up to 3 days, needing advice!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just turned 18 this month, I've had periods since I was 11. They have always been horrible.. Extreme pain, severe nausea, diarrhea... I've taken multiple kinds of pain medication and the only thing that somewhat helps a little bit is Aleve.. My periods keep me in bed for up to 3 days... Aside from it being so painful, it also gets in the way of so many other things. I'm a musician so I have to turn down good paying gigs because of it, I also don't know how I'm going to be able to get a job because most places only allow 12 sick days per year and I'm needing to get a job soon.. I've been to 4 different doctors and nurse practitioners and none of them have done or said anything to help me. One of them prescribed me nausea meds but they didn't work.. I feel so helpless at times because it seems like there's nothing I can do about it.. If there is anything anyone could tell me that would help, please do.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Sorry you are having a hard time.

Have you checked your iron levels? Lots of women are anaemic or have iron deficiency anaemia,

You may also wish to rule out endometriosis which can cause bad periods although invasive for conclusive diagnosis.

Lastly birth control might help, please weigh up risks and benefits and discuss with a doctor.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I'll definitely get those checked, thanks. Doctors have told me not to take birth control due to a heart issue I have.

• Posted

i was in the same situation in my 20s i went onto the pill it really helped less painful and alot lighter sometimes didnt have a period at all i did go for a pelvic ultrasound first to see if was any underlying cause they found nothing and put it down to painful periods

• Posted

Maybe I should get the ultrasound done then.. Doctors say I can't take birth control due to a heart issue I have.

• Posted

Do you take the Aleve before the period starts? I was told if you take it as soon as you start to feel the pain before the period starts and then right through to the end of the period, it lightens your period and makes it a bit less painful. I think it does work for me if I remember to do that.

Like Jenny said it could be endometriosis or it could be polycystic ovarian syndrome, or maybe even both. Ask to get your hormone levels tested and ask about getting some ultrasounds done.

Try and avoid sugar, caffeine and alcohol around your periods, this is usually the time you crave it the most, but it can make symptoms worse.

• Posted

I was told to try taking aleve 2 or 3 days before it starts but it always seems to put my period off. I usually don't start hurting until a few hours after I start my period but I take it as soon as I know it has started. I will definitely ask about ultrasounds. I hardly ever consume anything with caffeine in it but I try to avoid it around the time of my period and I don't drink alcohol... now sugar is a different story lol, but I will try to work on that, thanks.

• Posted

That is a bummer about not being able to take birth control, as that would definitely help all of the problems you mentioned. progestin only birth control might work for you. skyla is progestin only and an iud. id try that route.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.