my hubby has COPD and has to now use oxygen.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi my hubby has just started oxygen therapy at home he has copd. Anyone out there usong oxygen at home ?  He needs it 16 hours per day just wanted to ask whens the best time day or night, he doesn,t go out much but we do go to our caravan which is 42 miles away from home once a year and he drives. Will he still be able to drive if he needs to use oxygen ? We are new to this so any help is muchly appreciated. :-) 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Is it oxygen cylinders, or self-refillable liquid oxygen or a portable concentrator ?  What flow rate is he assessed at?  These questions all determine how long his supply will last, and if cylinders, how many he would need to transport.  Assumimg the supply is potable, there is usually no problem with driving whilst on oxygen, breathing through a nostril cannula I expect?
    • Posted

Yes portable cylinders I think we haven,t got the equipment yet its being delivered on Tuesday. I just didn,t give it a thought about drving while the nurse was here doing the initial assessment.
  • Posted

Hello Julie

Many people find it most beneficial to put the oxygen on at bedtime and wear it throughout the night and into the morning, while they are active with their morning wash etc. It ensures a better night's rest without becoming hypoxic (low oxygen) during the night which can make a person feel unwell and tired upon waking.

There is no reason a person cannot be out and around when using oxygen...in fact in most cases it is encouraged!

People are about to go out shopping,driving etc as long as they are functioning well. Exercise is good for all and mental stimulation is an excellent therapy.

I would advise that you contact your oxygen company a month or so ahead of your planned caravan trip and they will ensure that your husband is all set up with tanks/tubing etc to have his holiday away.

Another tip maybe that if your husband does not have a humidifier on his oxygen, that you can purchase over the counter at your pharmacist (chemist)a nasal lubricant gel that is especially made for oxygen users. I highly recommend it.

Do not substitute anything like Vaseline, which is a petroleum based product and is flammable....as we all know oxygen and heat (open flames) do not mix well.

Oxygen is classified as a medication. If you have any questions further I will try to answer them as best as I can.smile

Hope this was beneficial.

Lill

• Posted

Thankyou so much this is what Iwas after all the info I can get from those who have experience in Oxygen Therapy. biggrin
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your husband has to start Oxygen. I wish him success and few problems with shortness of breath. I started this discussion forum about 10 days ago and found that advise on this forum has helped me a great deal. So much I did not know. I've been on O2 for 3 years started with cylinders for a year then changed to a better insurance plan as I felt I would need more coverage with the advancing breathing problem. Now I'm on the Inogen home unit and another portable one for the times I go out. If you are going to be away for a time, then you might plan to have available a source of O2 where you stay. Other than that the other folks on this site can help you much more than I can. As far as driving, the portable unit I have has an adapter that keeps the unit going using the car cigarette lighter port, and no problems in driving because sitting still a person does not use up as much O2. I wish you and your husband the best.
  • Posted

Julie, you will probably receive Freedom 300 cylinders. They weigh about 7-8ibs each, and stand about 18 inches high. You'll have a shoulder carry bag as well, but i advise you phone the supplier monday and request a pull trolley, because it is so, so much easier to pull the cylinders when out and about. If they are not keen to help you, buy a small shopping trolley.

How long one cylinder lasts is not very long. I can't quite remember what the capacity is, it may be about 450 litres of O2. Now work out what that means at say 2 litres per minute. It is less than 4 hours !!  So only if your man needs less than 0.5 litres per minute is one cyclinder going to last 16 hours. You start to see the problem ?  There are ways to extend the time, such as fitting an accessory which only delivers a pulse when you breath in. That can extend the time to at least double, but may not work when asleep because the sensor will not work if your mouth falls open when asleep !!

You'll have to see how it goes, but I would have thought that 16 hours O2 per day would mean a portable concentrator rather than cylinders, but they cost around £2,500 so don't get handed out like chocs.....

• Posted

Hi Julie, are you in the UK? If so they generally start you on 16 hrs a day which they advise using overnight (that was how it was for my husband). We were supplied with a concentrator in the house with sufficient lead to access the house. You then get given 6 portable cylinders for use when out and about should you need them. They can also be used in the car. They last approximately 2 to 3 hours. Regarding your trip to your caravan, you notify the oxygen company in advance and they will arrange for sufficient oxygen (either a concentrator or cylinders ) to be delivered to your holiday address. I hope this helps. Enjoy your holiday.
    • Posted

Thank you :-)  im just collecting as much info as I can from good people like yourself who have experience with or a family memeber with OTH xx

• Posted

Hi Julie!! Welcome!!!  I feel VERY blessed because my physician started me on oxygen as SOON as I was diagnosed.  I know MANY people feel like it should only be used in the final stages of COPD.  Thank you Lord that my physician is more on top of things.  Yes, oxygen is considered a medication or drug; however are you aware why more physicians do NOT prescribe oxygen???  It is because it does not cost as much as prescribing oral drugs.  I am just amazed whenever anyone is depressed or concerned when they have to start using oxygen.  I am at 2.5 ltrs and only use it during the night and if I take a nap during the day.  I have a concentrator and also a portable tank.  I also have a portable concentrator that belonged to my mother-in-law before she passed at age 93.  My portable concentrator can be taken on planes and traveling.  Much luck to your husband, Julie.  Just be thankful that your physician has prescribed oxygen for him.
    • Posted

Hi Sandy: Me too on oxygen at 2.0 ltrs. The reason I wish to comment on your note is that you mentioned one of the reasons Dr's would rather prescribe oral drugs than the O2 is because of the cost. How right you are. Follow the money, huh.
    • Posted

Hi Keepin Alive!!!

Yes, I have seen reports more than once that  state that about "doctor's not prescribing oxygen".  When I was diagnosed, I was at Stage 2 and my "most awesome doctor" was way ahead of the game!!!  Most of the time, I kind of forget that I have COPD and I relate that a lot to using oxygen at night and for naps.  I use Spiriva and Advair daily, which I keep right next to the area where I do my hair, makeup, etc.  If it were not visible, I may forget to take it.  I also carry a "rescue inhaler" but have never needed to use it.  I feel SO blessed.  Best of Luck to you Keepin Alive!!

• Posted

Hi Julie, you should have your cylinders now ?  I got the likely one wrong, it is probable you got Freedom 400, 7-8 lbs, 21 inches tall, capacity 430 litres, time at 0.5 ltr/min 14 hrs 20 mins, or with conserver device 21 hours at 1 ltr/m.

That's the UK standards. Of course, you may be elsewhere in the world....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.