My husband has just been diagnosed as having had a TIA

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am feeling very worried at the moment as my husband suddenly lost the use of his left hand yesterday and said it was completely numb.  I persuaded him to ring NH Direct and now he is in A&E having tests.  I am 16 days post op from having a hip replacement so am at home alone feeling completely helpless that I can do nothing for him as I can't drive to the hospital.  I just wonder if anyone can give me some reassurance that he will be alright.  He is on quite a bit of medication having had two heart scares in the past and had a stent.  Any reassurance would be much appreciated. sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My husband who at 82 had his second massive heart attack and had a stent fitted. Then more problems like your husband. Increase in heart medication and blood thinner and he is fine. I hope your husband makes an equally good recovery
  • Posted

Hi, just read your post. Believe me when I say things are not always as bad as it seems. My husband started out with bypass at 52, then severe Lyme disease which sent him to special hospital, then had prostate cancer. He drove to hospital daily for 6 weeks then went to work. Couple years ago his heart stopped and was dead for 3 to 4 minutes. Went into intensive care for almost 3 weeks. Drs said he probably would not make it thru the night. He had defibulator put in. He is 78 yrs old and is still here with me. Goes to work every day. Very positive person unlike me. I am having colon and bladder surgery soon and he will have to take care of me and our 2 labs. Don't worry until you hear differently. If you lived here is ny I would drive you to see your hubby. Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Thank you Georgene, I worry about him so much, he doesn't look after himself and is very blasé about his health!  I'm glad to hear your husband is doing well and I hope your operation goes well for you. Having just had a hip replacement I'm depending on hubby to take our two dogs out too!  (A lab and a dalmatian) 
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. My husband is blasé too about health but always bounces back its almost like the less you give it serious thought the better things turn out. 
  • Posted

Hi Jill try not to worry, he is in the right place. You need to concentrate on getting yourself better, do you have family to help you both? xx
    • Posted

Thank you Trudy, he is home now but has to go back tomorrow for some results on blood tests.  He was told he'd had a very mild stroke due to a momentary lack of oxygen to his brain but no bleeding so that I suppose was "good" news.  We have no family but our next door neighbours have been very helpful and kind.  Thanks for your thoughts. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.