My husband has stage 4 ckd due to diabetes what should I expect he should feel physically?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have noticed he is tired, pees a lot especially at night. His legs are swollen, he has nosebleeds and is very itchy. Also something new - he smells different.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dad also has stage 4 and suffered from badly swollen legs. The Dr gave him some water retention tablets so consider these if he is not already taking them. Dad's legs have gone down a lot after starting those. I've also noticed the other things you've mentioned but the nosebleeds have stopped. I should check his blood pessure is well controlled.
  • Posted

Hi,

I would agree with Carol although we are all different I have CKD stage 5 and I have never had swollen anything.  He is itchy because he has too much posphate in his system.  This should be picked up in blood tests and can be controlled with diet and phosphate binders.  I am surprised he hasn't been checked for the above also never ever change his diet without talking to the dietician your husband should have access to since he has CKD if he does't have one ask to see one they have a booklet with all the foods and the ones to avoid its really useful but don't do it without the renal consultants say so as you can cause more harm than good.  I would also ask for blood results on his phosohate levels as its an easy thing to treat (the tablets taste rank but they work).  When the time time comes for your husband to have a transplant as he is diabetic will he need a double transplant? (kidney and pancreas) I only ask as my friends husband has CKD due to the same condition as your husband and he needs a double tx as they have told him if he doesn't his pancreas with ruin his new kidney if he just has a kidney so no point in doint that.  What do you mean he smells different?

• Posted

He does not smell like sweat. It almost smells acidic. I really can't describe. But I do see a change finally in his legs by adding a water pill.

• Posted

Hi,

What are his blood acid levels mine were high so they gave me bicarb tablets, I have to be carefull though as if I take anymore than one they make my BP go mental.  Next time he sees the renal neph just ask what the results are if they are ok no pills needed.  I am glad his legs have gone down he will feel better for that.

• Posted

Nosebleeds and feeling very tired may be the effects of medicines. Look at the leaflet that comes with the meds. to see the possible side effects. Meds to keep blood pressure under control often cause these symptoms but, as there are so many drugs to choose from, these can be changed. Talk to the doctor about this.

People with diabetes often have breath that smells of 'pear drops' and it could be in the skin too. This could be that the diabetic condition is becoming unstable and a change in the amount and frequency of insulin taken daily is needed - which would be advised by the nephrologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.