My husband is planning on shunt or Tubulectomoy surgery info wanted

Posted , 5 users are following.

After 40 yrs with glaucoma my 75 yr old H is being told its time for shunt surgery. He has been on drops for yrs and the doc even added a pill recently but he is losing vision even though his pressure is 18 and 14 rt and left

he us anxious about the surgery and we are trying to gather as much info as possible.

would like to hear from others who have had surgery what the experience was like for them.

Did surgery help hiw long for eye to return to baseline, when could you drive again, during recovery what did you do to pass the time?

We are guessing TV and reading are not pleasant for long periods of time. Audio books.

How often and for how long did you need regular check ups

Any and all info appreciated

Thank You!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi, I have had shunt surgery for glaucoma in both eyes about 7 years ago but not at the same time and must say as soon as I had had the op on both occasions I was back to normal. Only thing I had was to use eye drops for several weeks then a check-up. Since the ops I have never looked back (excuse the pun) and would recommend having the operation. No more dreaded eye drops and no threat of blindness - something I was told would happen if I didn't have the operations. Good Luck. Regards Jean

• Posted

Jean,

Do you remember exactly which shunt you obtained?

• Posted

Hi Dave, sorry but I have no idea which shunt I had. I live in Spain and these operations done in the local Spanish hospital.

Several years since I had the glaucoma ops (actually had a cataract removed from one eye at the same time) and no problems whatsoever. Just to be free from having to put eye drops in daily is marvellous and not to worry about the possibility of going blind through high pressure is wonderful. Good luck with your operation.

Regards

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean,

Cataracts is the larger issue for me which haven't been scheduled yet. I take drops (Lumigan) once per day for the glaucoma which appear to be keeping the pressures in check. Haven't discussed with the surgeon which glaucoma procedure, if any, will be done at the same time as the cataract surgery. From my own research there are so many different glaucoma procedures now most of which are minimally invasive and can be done at the same time as the cataract surgery. I think the Lumigan is causing some dry eyes so I may consider one of the minimally invasive glaucoma procedures. Ultimately it will probably come down to which procedure the surgeon is most comfortable doing. Glad to hear you had great success with yours!

• Posted

Hi, don't hesitate - go for it. You will not regret it and just to be free from having to put drops in every day a big bonus. I was worried about having mine done especially when I was told my glaucoma was very bad but I took the plunge and hey presto - all is well.

Good luck and take the plunge.

Regards

Jean X

• Posted

Hi, I forgot to mention that after a few days I was back to normal - reading, watching tv and driving and I was told my glaucoma was a severe one so that says it all. Really the after care was similar to when you have a cataract op and just a few days putting drops in then no more drops and a couple of follow-up appointments then discharged so no worries - go for it and you will never look back - pardon the pun.

Regards

Jean

• Edited

Hi! I am 52 years old and have had glaucoma for 26 years. I have had 2 express mini shunts placed (1 in each eye) and 1 valve shunt. My first express shunt was placed in my left eye in 2016 and just recently failed. My doctor placed a valve shunt in the left eye in April 2022 and my pressure has remained 16-17. On May 16th, he placed a mini shunt in my right eye I was out of work for 8 weeks and didn't really feel comfortable driving during this time . On 10/13/22 I returned for a follow-up and the pressure was 31 in my right eye. I had a needle procedure (revision) the following Monday and the pressure was 16 just 24 hours later. This was short-lived and it was back up to 22 by the 5th day i am now having intense pain in my right eye , but hopefully it is nothing serious The recovery is probably much different for everyone, but i wondered if i would ever be able to see again. Once I was able to reduce the steroid frequency things improved drastically. Good luck!

• Posted

I had Baerveldt shunts placed a few months ago, after drops and laser surgery failed to get my pressures below 40. I'm now in the 25-30 range, which is not ideal but it is a vast improvement. I've lost some peripheral vision, but my central acuity is still decent at 20/70 in my better eye. I can't drive with this acuity, but I can do most other activities.

My glaucoma is secondary to surgery for congenital cataracts years ago, without a lens replacement. (I've worn cataract glasses lifelong to correct my vision).

The good news is that most people respond very favorably to shunt surgery. It should make a big difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.