My husband suffers from RLS, Is there any thing else besides Quinine tablets?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know it very disturbing for him,  but it also affects me to as sometimes his arms seem to be affected too and they flail about as well.  he doesn't even know when this happens.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This sounds more like periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) than RLS. The same medications are available, I believe.
    • Posted

thank you.  I never heard of this disorder.

• Posted

He never sleeps when this is happening.   He is aware of RLS as he rubs his legs and paces about etc.   He is awake also when he jerks about but when I ask him could he lie at peace he doesn't realise he has been moving.  

• Posted

Generally if it happens during sleep it will be PLMD, if it is RLS he won't get to sleep!

• Posted

He os not asleep during either.  Thank you for your help.  Mind you perhaps I wake him when I speak to him.  Just another thought. 
  • Posted

Yup, not RLS for sure.
    • Posted

He definitely has RLS.   Seems like he is afflicted with both.  He doesn't sleep when his legs are bad.  I simply thought all this was part of the same thing.  

• Posted

My limited understanding is that quinine tablets are not at all helpful in treating RLS. Please go to the RLS U K web site for more info. I hope this is helpful
    • Posted

Thank you Martin I think this is my best bet.  The quinine is not all that great but it was prescribed by doctor and for so long there seemed to be nothing else.
  • Posted

Quinine is sometimes used for leg cramps, but quite rarely nowadays, I believe, because of risks with it:

https://patient.info/health/cramps-in-the-leg

Make sure he is getting enough iron (Ferrochel or haem iron supplements), have him get blood tests to check his stored iron levels. If iron supplementation doesn't stop it, have him ask his doctor about dopamine agonists.

• Posted

Robert, what's new with you?  Is the RLS behaving itself?  What about the tremors?

• Posted

Well, I reduced my iron supplementation down to about 36 mg a day because of my eye problem. The tremors came back, and I needed to take ropinirole early in the afternoon again. However, I've now determined, come to the decision anyway, that my iron intake was not related to my eye problem, resumed taking 90 mg, sometimes 180 mg, of Ferrochel a day. The tremors have more or less gone away again, and it's sometimes back well into the evening that I take ropinirole, often then only as a precautionary measure.

• Posted

A little ropinirole never hurt anyone, but with that said, you would probably need less iron.  The DAs are a drag on our receptors making them worse in the long run.  So I never asked you where your iron levels are at...did I?  Are they low, low to normal, normal, normal to high?
    • Posted

My serum ferritin level was 180 µg/L, which is quite high enough for most, though not over the top. However, I just had another look at the results and spotted that my red blood count only just scrapes in within the no action range at 4.51x10¹²/L. I might need to look into that – my mum died suffering from myelodysplastic syndrome.

• Posted

Oh, I remember now the red blood count was lowish, but the size of the cells was on the larger side.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.