My husband was diagnosed with Moyamoya at the age of 22....

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband was diagnosed with Moyamoya at the age of 22. Over the years he had many strokes. He died age 43 of extensive arterial problems. My 2 sons have been diagnosed with carotid artery occlusions and have both suffered strokes age 17 and 22 respectivley. I worry for their future.

[i:d0a6a53a2c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d0a6a53a2c]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI,   My 7yr old daughter has Moyamoya Disease. I live in the US, please email me if you need more information on it. Hopefully you know more by now and your sons have had surgery to fix the arteries because this is the only treatment that is available and proven sucessful. 

Kristina

_____

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an e-mail address from this reply as it is the policy of patient.info to not publish these within the forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and the trouble your children are going through.

My partner just had a stroke in March this year and was diagnosed with Moya Moya in April he just had left side surgery in July. He is still in hospital as the occupational therapy are not happy with his cognitive skills.

Have your children been tested for MM? I want to get our daughter scanned who is 5,she sometimes tells me she feels dizzy and her eyes feel weird and I keep getting paranoid.

I wish your sons good health smile

• Posted

Hi,

I am so sorry about your husbands diagnosis. I hope everything works out for him and he has a speedy recovery! As for your daughter, I would definitely get her tested. Moyamoya can be hereditary. I have met quite a few families with more then one that has Moyamoya including mine. My 9yr of daughter and her uncle (dads side) have it and we believe that her grandfather (dads father) passed away from undiagnosed MM last September. I would take her to neurologist or just have your family doctor order an MRI/MRA to make sure. Those two tests along with an angiogram are the only tests that can diagnose Moyamoya, a CAT scan will not. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I had never heard of MM before my partner was diagnosed. It's nice to chat on Facebook also with other people in the group and get advise on this.

I'm just waiting to hear from the surgeon to see if he will organise this for my daughter.

I did ask at our doctors but they said they know nothing on MM so wouldn't be able to.

Good luck with everything too 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.