My Hydrocele Repair Surgery Experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

Prior to my hydrocele repair surgery I read about the experiences of others on this website and some did worry me. So I wanted to share my recent experience.

I'd had a hydrocele for a little over two years on my right testicle. It was uncomfortable in the summer when things are a little looser and when running. I'd say it was about the size of a pear.

I went straight to my doctor when I noticed it and had it checked out with an ultrasound. A little embarrassing, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious (testicular cancer).

The scan confirmed it was a hydrocele and the next step was to meet with a consultant who said that I could either leave it or have surgery.

The waiting list was six months (I'm in the UK so this was on the NHS)

I went into hospital as a day patient. I was knocked out for the whole thing which I was quite happy about and came around with a bandage on my scrotum and a jockstrap that I have to wear for 14 days.

I was sent home with morphine for pain relief, but didn't feel that I needed this. I took a couple of paracetamol alternating with ibuprofen every two hours over the first 24 hours and then nothing.

My fears about it feeling like I'd been kicked in the nuts for two weeks were totally unfounded. I have no swelling, no bruising.

Hopefully this positive experience will ease the nerves of someone out there thinking of having the operation.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.