My hydrocele surgery experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Reading others hydrocele surgery experiences on here has been invaluable so I thought I'd document my own in the hope it will help others due to have the procedure.

My hydrocele was on my right side and I'd had it for approx 5yrs. Whilst it started quite small (developing after I had epididymitis) it eventually got very large and uncomfortable. I therefore elected to have surgery as it had become awkward, caused embarrassment and was affecting my day to day life.

The surgery was done under general anaesthetic (a spinal block was offered but I wasn't keen on being aware of the procedure taking place. It took approx 30/40mins and when I awoke in the recovery room I experienced no pain. I was in good spirits and just aware of some discomfort.

I was back home after about 1.5hrs after the procedure having been given some antibiotics to avoid any infection and some co-codomol to help manage any pain.

I was surprised by just how little pain I've experienced post surgery as I was expecting to be much more uncomfortable. In fact the rubbing of the jockstrap on my inner thigh proved to be more painful than the actual site op. Sitting or standing for too long could be a little uncomfortable and finding a comfortable position to sleep wasnt easy, but I found keeping my jockstrap on over some tight boxers/trunks helped and having a cushion between my thighs allowed me to sleep on my left hand side pretty easily. Going to the loo to urinate was awkward initially (i had to ease my penis out of the side of my jockstrap ...aim wasnt easy though and it was a bit messy! I found it a lot easier once I fashioned a 'pee bottle' out of a thoroughly disinfected plastic milk carton). I used this for the first two days post surgery until I felt brave enough to investigate my privates a little.

I had my surgery on a Monday afternoon and on Wednesday afterwards I decided to give my groin a wash with fragrance /alcohol free baby wipes. I had stains on my groin and thighs from the iodine they'd obviously used in surgery and a little dried blood. I was aware that I wanted to clean myself a little more thoroughly though as itd been warm weather and I was afraid that a moist, warm crotch and recent surgery could lead to infection, especially as I'd already developed a rash on my lower back where my jockstrap had been rubbing. I therefore called the Day Unit where I'd had my procedure and asked about having a shower. The information pamphlet I'd been given said I could have a quick shower 24hrs aafter the operation but I was unsure as my dressing seemed attached to my wound and I didn't want to cause any damage. However the nurse I spoke to said a brief shower was fine and that the water would ease the dressing off.

Mistake! Once in the shower I was quickly aware of bleeding and the weight of the now soaking wet dressing was causing pulling on my scrotum. No pain.. .but quite a lot of blood. I rang the hospital back and they told me to go straight back in asap.

At the hospital I was told the advice I'd been given about showering was incorrect. I had a drain fitted (which I was unaware of) and showering and trying to remove the dressing had caused some movement. They therefore redressed my scrotum and sent me back home with instructions to only flannel/wipe wipe wash for the time being. I was given an appointment to return for drain removal a couple of days later (Friday).

On Friday I went back and they were very happy with how everything was looking. They removed the drain, redressed the site and sent me home with a couple more jockstraps (one for wearing whilst the other is being washed).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Cont...

It's now 10 days since my surgery and I've still not experienced any real pain or any discernable swelling or bruising. The fear of pain actually more real than any pain itself. Its awkward to sit sometime, I have a bit of a cowboy walk and there's the occasional twinge but nowhere near the discomfort I was expecting. My stitches are a little itchy but I guess that's down to them healing. I've stopped wearing the jockstrap at home but find it helps if I walk to the shop or need to travel in a car for more than 30mins. I change the dressing over the wound from the drain but its only a small dressing now and there's very little weeping or discharge from the drain site.

I'm still having flannel/wet wipe washes while I wait for the drain site to heal fully but am thinking I may try my first shower in a few days.

The most alarming thing was the excess scrotal skin on the side of my hydrocele removal. But on waking this morning it was looking almost as it did before I had my hydrocele developed. The testicle on that side is also quite high up and seems attached to my scrotum beside the base of my penis. It also feels very hard. From what I understand though this is normal initially and will change in the coming months. I will check with my Dr though when I next see them.

My stitches are still in place but I expect these will dissolve slowly over the next week or so.

So as of now my fears and worries have proved unfounded and I'm happy.

If you're due to undergo the procedure please dont worry too much. It's not as scary as testicular surgery would seem.

I'll update again soon but if anyone wants to ask any questions feel free to drop me a message.

• Edited

That sounds the thing of nightmares seeing blood in the shower!

Many similarities with the surgery, painkillers (though I experienced a lot of discomfort), and sleeping being a real issue for myself who always slept on my stomach. Even the delicacy of going for a pee is familiar!

Thankfully I was working from home when I had my surgery so I didn't have to attempt walking in public or going out, though now I am back in the office and finding it difficult to hide my discomfort and I have to sit with my legs in a figure-4 position to create space.

Yes, the testicle will be hard to begin with and what you've described is normal. It may be temporarily attached to the scrotum to keep it from "cow-belling" into the other one, but the stitching they use is a longer lasting one to the ones that will naturally fall out in time. However, I think that is where my issues started as I got an infection so my scar may have adhered to the scrotum lining beyond when the stitching should have come loose.

I'd agree with your last comment about the surgery itself. It was painfree and my team were brilliant in checking in on me after the surgery. Take it easy and all the best!

• Posted

Hi guys,

I know this thread is a little old but ive just recieved the treatment and was looking for advice.

Been about a week since I had the procedure and the testicle is swolen to nearly the same size that it was prior to hydrocele removal. is this something which is normal and will go down over the coming weeks or something to be concerned about?

hope to here from you and thanks 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.