My hydrocelectomy experience (UK)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Firstly:

• I am 23 years old living in UK
  • i have had a hydrocele about the size of a large egg for 7 years now that happened because of injury
  • I have no underlying health conditions
  • I went with an experienced urologist who had performed over 30,000 procedures
  • i went with general anaesthesia instead of spinal

i had the surgery today and it went absolutely fine, I was advised by the doctor the most common but still unexpected side effects due to my case being minor were infection and hematoma, the other side effects e.g. chronic pain and reoccurrence where very rare and the chronic pain would not last forever as the incision was made in the scrotum and not through the groin (where there are sensitive nerves). There was also a risk of damage to testicle as well which may lead to shrinkage but I was advised this was very very rare.

when I woke up from surgery I was in 0 pain with only some itchiness coming from the gauze, however at home now the pain hovers between 0-3 depending on what I am doing. So far this is very manageable overall but I will post updates on this post every now and then with updates.

I hope this post helps some people who need this surgery find the motivation to get it done as it is relatively safe, especially when you find a good doctor. There are still some risks though. Anyone who has a tiny hydrocele and wants it removed due to cosmetic reasons I wouldn't recommend surgery as even when the hydrocele is removed the testicle will never really look the same as before anyway. you would be risking complications for little gain. Only get the surgery if the hydrocele is abnormally big compared to the other testicle or if it causes chronic pain or discomfort.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Day 1 update:

Still some pain in the morning and some swelling, but nothing too bad and easily controller eoth painkillers/ibuprofen. Gauze fell off in the middle of the night that led to some bleeding from the incision that was easily stopped.

• Posted

day 14:

nearly zero pain from the testicle and incision itself which is great. However there is still a decent amount of swelling (just slightly smaller than pre surgery) which I think is slowly starting to go down. there is some it itchiness in the mornings from incision due to my boxers rubbing against it while it heals. apart from that im all good, can do everything i used to apart from strenous exercise and weight lifting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.