My Ibs is affecting my life and relationship

Posted , 6 users are following.

Basically I don't know where to start but here goes, I was a alcoholic from age 22 to age 27, I have been clean for over 3 years, I thought my life can only go up now, I've been having series abdominal pain for the last 2 years on and off but now it's everyday, it seems after I've opened my bowels the pain starts and it's really irritating as it wrecks my day and makes me really depressed and I do seem to take it out on people close to me but all I keep saying is I'd love you to feel this for 1 minute so you understand what it's like, I have gallstones and still an enlarged spleen which I'm dealing with also so I'm confused as to weather the gp is just saying it's ibs or its another underlying problem, the last 6 months I've had 2 really bad attacks of pain one which resulted in hospital as I couldn't bare, like stomach cramp which the longest episode has lasted nearly 3 hours to go, undescribable pain... Anyway I would like to know if any one suffers in this way or has had similar symptoms and if there's anything you have tried that relieves this, I'm on buscapan and lanzoprazole medication but does nothing, gp requested urgent ultrasound scan which I go for on Thursday this week and give me codeine but make me ill for the meantime. Basically I'm only 30 with a 9 year old son and 7 week old daughter and need to get this sorted as I'm frightened of getting really really depressed if you know what I mean. Thank-you for reading.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Doctors don't diagnose IBS lightly.  Tests are usually done to rule out other similar conditions before diagnosing IBS.  If you are having gallbladder and spleen trouble, an ultrasound will pick this up.  I get constipation, nausea, stomach pain and sometimes loose stools with my IBS.  Buscopan and Ibruprofen help my symptoms.

I had a urine test, stool samples taken, an ultrasound and a celiac test.  All were negative.

• Posted

Hi Karl, sounds like it is your gall stones that are causing the problem. I have heard that they are extremely painful and they do travel. I suspect your doc is not talking it seriously. I know that gallstones need to be broken down which helps them to pass through. I think you need to do a bit of research. Good luck 🍀
  • Posted

I have exactly the same symptoms as you and I get terrific back pain. Hospitalised twice and await gbf he results of a slow gut transit test. I do suspect I have IBS however a lot of my pain area is not consistent with IBS more gallbladder which has been checked. According to many people on anothe r forum sludge can be an issue and does not show on a ultra sound scan. I am going to push for a type of scan that detects this. I am miserable and skinny!!! Lost three stone cos of this demon. Whatever it is!
    • Posted

Hi Angus, You could also be coeliac. It takes a scan of the small intestine to get results and sometimes more than one scan. An upper GI is not good enough. Has your doctor considered this. Good luck 🍀
  • Posted

With IBS I was so ill when I first had it that I was sick all the time which meant we did not go out and when we did I would be stressed. My previous upward trajectory on my career I found I was taking more and more time out  so in the end I got fed up of being ill and she was fed up with me being ill. She has started spending a lot of time being more of a nurse than partner.

In the end it was just not sustainable. She was right as I have only just started back to work since Dec 2014 apart from about 5 months when I briefly worked again but my life has been more stop start.

• Posted

Hi

I had gallstones when i was pregnant and couldn't have anything for pain . I was diagnosed as i was taken from work in a ambulance after not been able to move and after 45 mins it stopped (with help from gas and air they though was early labour) then after diagnosed I had attacks ever 2 weeks and unless I threw up it wouldn't ease . after having my son I was due to have removed but couldn't ( as I single parent 4 months later) so I went through another 18 months of the attacks wasn't as frequent as was when I was pregnant but I had one that lasted 6 hours with a 1 year old at time . I had it removed after 18 months anyway and I've now been left with IBS . I didn't really have much problem with IBS until about 6 months ago and the cramping I get is like having a tummy bug . I get so miserable and now effecting every day life for example today been first days of Easter holidays and were stuck inside . I've only still been give peppermint oil capsules to deal with IBS . write down what u eat and drink and see if there is anything that seems to flare it I had to cut cola out moved on to de caff stuff as caffeine was one of my main culprit think pork is something else as that's what was eaten yesterday and causing today issue . but I hope u have option for removal of gall bladder u will probably notice difference. Good luck

Vanessa xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.